I love, love, love a crispy fried egg! I’m typically not a fan of egg whites (I’m more of a yolk girl), but there is just something about the crispy edges of these olive oil fried eggs that I like!
This is not the time or the place for a non-stick pan. To get this technique right, you want to use medium/high heat and a cast iron pan. To achieve the crispy white and soft, runny yolk I use a spoon to baste the egg with hot olive oil while it’s cooking. This is how you get that last stubborn bit of egg white to cook without having to flip the whole egg it over.
Don’t be bummed if you don’t nail it on the first try. Egg cookery is one of those things that seems ridiculously simple but there is actually a lot of skill and practice that goes into it.
Crispy Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Yogurt and Herbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c full fat greek yogurt
- 4 tbs olive oil
- a small handfull herbs, any that you like mint, dill, chive, or parsley
- a few slices of cucumber and or radish
- flakey sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- a pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Spread the greek yogurt onto a plate with the back of a spoon. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Heat a castiron pan on medium/high. Add three tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Crack the eggs into the pan. Reduce the heat to low. While the egg is cooking, carefully tip the pan towards you allowing the olive oil to pool onto one side of the pan. Use a spoon to gently baste the egg with hot oil; this will help to cook any lingering runny egg white. Remove the eggs from the pan and place directly on top of the seasoned yogurt.
- To serve; top the eggs with the fresh herbs, tearing them into small pieces with your hands. Add a few slices of radish and cucumber. Lastly, season everything with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes ( optional.) Serve with toasted bread and enjoy immediately!