I’m calling this a salad, but it’s really almost a slaw. I shaved the fennel and celery thinly on the mandoline and then dressed it in a bright, citrusy vinaigrette. In my opinion, this is the only way to go with raw celery and fennel. Serve this salad/slaw with something grilled or roasted, like spicy barbecue chicken, or bacon wrapped pork tenderloin.
Fennel Salad with Kumquats and Golden Raisins
- 1 bulb fennel reserve some of the tops for garnish
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 handfull kumquats
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c golden raisins
- 1/4 c freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice
- 1/4 c champagne vinegar
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 c olive oil
- Use a mandoline to thinly slice the fennel, celery, and kumquats into a large bowl. Add the golden raisins and sunflower seeds into the bowl, set aside and make the dressing.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, dijon, citrus juice, and vinegar. While whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil, continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
- Toss the dressing together with the fennel and celery mixture if your fennel bulb had the fronds attached tear off a few pieces and add that in as well. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. You can serve this salad right away or let it marinate; it gets better with time!