Ok, so I’d like to acknowledge that this is probably my fifth recipe that involves a big dollop of yogurt on a plate. Sorry, not sorry? I’ll give it a rest for a bit but honestly, I just love the combination of cool-creamy-tangy yogurt with something warm and salty like these salmon burgers.
Salmon Burgers with Cucumber and Yogurt
- 1 16oz fillet of salmon skin removed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 handfull cilantro and parsley chopped
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 c greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- avocado oil for frying
- 1 whole persian cucumber
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium-high heat. Add a glug of avocado oil to the pan. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and sear for 2 minutes on one side, flip and sear an additional 2 minutes on the other side. The salmon should be partially cooked. Set it in the fridge for a few minutes until its cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl place the cooked salmon, egg, herbs, onion, spices and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Use your hands to break up the salmon and mix all the ingredients. The mixture will be pretty wet since were are not using bread crumbs, but that’s ok!
- Reheat your cast iron pan on medium heat, add a glug of avocado oil. I like to use a 1/2c measuring cup to scoop out a burger portion, then use my hands to form a small patty. Place the salmon patty in the pan and then don’t touch it! Because we aren’t using breadcrumbs to bind the burger together it’s important that it gets a good hard sear before we try and flip it; otherwise, it may fall apart. When you start to see the edges of the burger browning, it’s time to flip! Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on the second side and then remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Repeat this process until all of the salmon is cooked.
- Season the greek yogurt with a little bit of salt and place a dollop onto the plate. Top with a salmon burger, sliced cucumber and a squeeze of lemon juice. Optional additions: herbs, watercress capers, pickled red onion.