This may be my most indulgent recipe to date! Vanilla ice cream and strawberry jam sandwiched between brown butter cookies! OMG! The best part? This recipe is way easier to make than it looks! I used store-bought ice cream and strawberry jam so the only technical part is making the cookies. These strawberry brown butter ice cream sandwiches are a great make-ahead recipe too. They’re delicious to eat right away but I almost like them better after they’ve sat in the freezer for a day or two. If you are going to leave them in the freezer for a few days just make sure you wrap them really well in plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
Brown Butter Cookies: If you’ve never made brown butter before you’re in for a treat! The aroma and flavor of brown butter are like toasted hazelnuts. Browning the butter before you make the cookies adds so much richness and flavor. When assembling the ice cream sandwiches, make sure the cookies are completely cool; otherwise, they will melt and become a big mess. You can pop them in the freezer for a few minutes just to be sure.
Vanilla Ice Cream: You can bet I did not make homemade ice cream for these ice cream sandwiches. I used store bought. Strauss is my favorite brand for plain vanilla ice cream, it’s packed with vanilla beans!
Strawberry Jam: I recommend using a high-quality jam here. I really like the brand Bonne Maman, It has big chunks of whole strawberries throughout.
Strawberry Brown-Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
Brown Butter Spelt Cookies
- 1 c butter (2 sticks)
- 2 1/2 c spelt flour
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 c strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two sheet trays with parchment paper.
- Place the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Let the butter melt, and brown. Keep a close eye on it because it can burn really quickly. You will know it's nice and brown when the butter becomes foamy and aromatic. It will smell like toasted hazelnuts. As soon as it's golden brown pour the butter into a glass jar and let cool in the refrigerator for 20minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together the brown sugar, vanilla and cooled brown butter for 2 minutes. Next add in the eggs one at a time. Mix on high for one minute. Last with the mixer on low slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- With a small ice-cream scoop or a 1/4c measuring cup scoop the cookies onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space around each cookie so they have room to spread while they bake. Put the sheet tray with the cookies in the freezer or fridge for 15minutes before you bake them so that they don't spread too much.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
To Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Place a large scoop of ice cream onto the flat edge of one cookie. Next place a spoonful of strawberry jam onto the ice cream. Top your ice cream sandwich with a second cookie and enjoy immediately or place back in the fridge to eat later.
If you love Strawberry Brown-Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches you’ll love these other great desserts: â