The Best Turkey Bolognese
This unfussy turkey bolognese is perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions! Top it with freshly grated parmesan cheese, and chili flakes if you like a little spice!
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped, or grated
- 1/2 c tomato paste
- 1 c dry white wine
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c heavy cream or milk
- 1 lb pasta any shape
Melt the butter and oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat then add the onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Next, stir in the ground turkey, garlic, and a generous pinch of salt. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat. Cook for about 5 minutes until the turkey is mostly cooked.
Next, add in the tomato paste. Cook the tomato paste for 5 minutes then, add the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the wine is mostly reduced then add the chicken stock and reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
After an hour, stir in the cream then simmer for an additional 15 minutes. During that time cook and drain the pasta. Fold the cooked pasta into the sauce. Divide between bowls, top with parmesan cheese and serve!
How To Freeze Bolognese:
- Turkey: You can use ground chicken, beef, or pork for this recipe.
- White Wine: Substitute chicken stock or omit completely.
- Heavy Cream: Milk or omit completely for dairy-free.
- Prepare the sauce and let cool completely. Transfer the sauce to a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer ziplock bags. Freeze for up to three months.
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a pot on the stove.
Enamel Dutch Oven | Wooden Spoons
Calories: 586kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 62g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1263mg | Potassium: 1851mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 7427IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 5mg