Greek Orzo Salad
Orzo pasta tossed with tangy Greek vinaigrette, fresh veggies and creamy feta cheese is the picnic-perfect salad you need in your recipe repertoire!
- 16 oz orzo pasta
- 2 medium cucumbers diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 c halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 heaping cup pitted kalamata olives cut in half
- 8 oz feta cheese, crumbled about a heaping cup
- ½ c chopped parsley leaves
- ¾ c olive oil
- ¼ c dijon mustard
- ¼ c red wine vinegar
- ¼ c lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
To make the dressing place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Cook the orzo according to packages instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool down to orzo. Let stand in the colander for a few minutes to remove as much of the water as possible.
Transfer the orzo to a large bowl and add in the chopped veggies, parsley and crumbled feta.
Toss the orzo and veggies with the dressing and mix until evenly combined. Taste and season with salt as needed. Refrigerate the pasta salad for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to meld before serving.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions:
- Orzo: You can use any small short-cut pasta for this recipe.
- Veggies: The classic Greek salad consists of red onion, tomato, bell pepper and cucumber. Feel free to mix it up, you can use any combination of veggie you like.
- Feta Cheese: Fresh mozzarella can be substituted for feta cheese if needed.
- Is orzo rice or pasta? Orzo is commonly mistaken for rice because of its shape but it is in fact pasta made from white flour.
- Can I make this recipe in advance? Absolutely! Orzo salad gets better as it sits and marinated for a day. I recommend making it a day in advance if possible.
- Orzo pasta salad will stay fresh for up to four days in the refrigerator.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 416mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1403IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 2mg