Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
An elevated sheet pan dinner with fresh halibut wrapped in salty prosciutto roasted together with jammy tomatoes, caramelized shallot, garlic cloves and topped with fresh basil, parsley, and balsamic vinegar.
- 2 lb halibut cut into four even pieces
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 3 lg shallots thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 heaping cup parsley leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Place the cherry tomatoes, garlic cloves, and sliced shallot on a baking tray. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are soft and juicy. Take the tomato mixture out of the oven and turn the oven temperature up to 375.
Season the halibut with salt and pepper then take 1-2 slices of prosciutto and wrap it around each filet. Place the prosciutto-wrapped halibut filets on top of the roasted tomatoes and put back in the oven at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. (See notes below on fish-doneness)
While the fish is cooking toss the basil and parsley leaves with balsamic vinegar, a glug of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Top with fish and tomatoes with the basil and parsley then drizzle any remaining dressing over top. Serve right away!
How do I know if halibut is cooked?
- Halibut: you can use any firm white fish like sea bass or cod.
- Prosciutto: thinly sliced pancetta will also work.
Storage and Reheating:
- The best way to tell if fish is cooked is to insert a metal cake tester, metal skewer, or a small knife into the thickest part of a fish and hold it there for 5 seconds. Pull it out and carefully touch the tip of the tester/skewer or knife to your lower lip, which is very sensitive to temperature. If it feels warm, the fish is cooked through and ready to serve. If the knife is still cold the fish needs more time.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat in the oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 1548mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1331IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2mg