Bucatini Cacio e Pepe
All you need to make creamy, velvety bucatini cacio e pepe is five simple ingredients; pecorino and parmesan cheese, butter, freshly ground black pepper and bucatini pasta.
- 10 oz bucatini
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c freshly grated pecorino cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Once boiling, add the bucatini and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water before draining.
While the pasta is cooking melt half the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cracked black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 2 minutes.
Add 3/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Next, add the bucatini and remaining butter. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring and tossing with tongs until melted and the sauce coats the pasta, add more pasta water if the sauce seems dry. Divide between bowls, top with extra black pepper, and grated cheese. Serve immediately.
Storing and Reheating:
- Bucatini: Substitute spaghetti if needed.
- Pecorino and Parmesan: Freshly grated cheese is important for a smooth and creamy sauce. Pre-grated cheese can leave your sauce grainy.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat in the microwave or stovetop with a few tablespoons of water to loosen up the sauce.
Calories: 960kcal | Carbohydrates: 108g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1037mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1168IU | Calcium: 637mg | Iron: 2mg