Hamachi Crudo with Grapefruit and Serrano Chili
Super fresh, sushi-grade hamachi sliced very thinly and bathed in olive oil, grapefruit juice, rice vinegar and dotted with zippy Serrano chilis and chive…this chilled summer appetizer is *almost* too pretty to eat!
- 2 tbsp grapefruit juice plus one tablespoon zest
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 oz sushi grade hamachi
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1 Serrano chili or jalapeño thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
First make the dressing, whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Place the dressing in the refridgerator until you're ready to use it.
Using your sharpest knife slice the hamachi into bite-sized pieces about ¼-inch thick. Work quickly so that the fish doesn't get warm while you're slicing.
Arrange the fish on a large plate or small platter. Drizzle the dressing over top then sprinkle with chives and sesame seeds. Place a single slice of Serrano chili on each piece of hamachi. Sprinkle with salt and serve right away.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
Where do I buy fish to serve raw?
- Hamachi: If you can't track down any hamachi try tuna or salmon.
- Grapefruit: You can substitute other citrus like oranges (blood orange would be nice), lime or lemon.
- Serrano Chili: Jalapeño can be used instead of Serrano, just use smaller pieces.
- When buying fish thats going to be served raw, make sure it is as fresh as possible – only buy it from a fishmonger that you really trust. Look for a reputable fresh fish market in your area. Speak with the fishmonger and let them know you intend to serve the fish raw, they will guide you in the right direction. You can also order sushi-grade (aka sashimi-grade) fish online at Honolulu Fish Market. Please note that it’s always best to consult your physician to find out what dietary choices are right for you.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 482mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1334IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg