Sheet Pan Chicken Tacos Al Pastor
The most delicious chicken tacos al pastor with juicy pineapple and tangy chipotle marinade.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 heaping cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo, plus 2 tbsp. adobo sauce chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- ¼ c honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
- 12 tortillas corn or flour
- 1 bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3-4 radishes thinly sliced
- 3-4 juicy limes
Preheat the oven to 425. In a large bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Toss the chicken with the marinade until it is evenly coated. Let marinate for at least ten minutes or up to 24 hours in the refridgerator.
Arrange the marinated chicken on a sheet tray. Scatter the pineapple slices over the chicken. Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. After 25 minutes turn the oven to broil and broil for five minutes or until the chicken and pineapple are caramelized and slightly charred. Take the sheet pan out of the oven and squeeze the juice of two limes over the chicken and pineapple.
Roughly chop the chicken then serve with warm tortillas, salsa, extra lime wedges, radish slices, onions, and cilantro. Enjoy immediately!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
- Chicken Thighs: Dark meat chicken thighs stay juicier than chicken breasts. But if you're "anti-thigh" you can certainly use white meat. You may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Pineapple: Fresh is best, but canned will work too.
- Chipotles in Adobo: Smoked jalapeños rehydrated and canned in a sweet and tangy purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and some other spices. These peppers are super spicy but combined with honey and tomato paste their heat is perfectly mellowed.
- Cilantro and Onions: Chopped cilantro and onions are a staple at the taco truck and one my favorite topping!
- Tortillas: Flour or corn, either work. When buying corn tortillas look for ones that are soft and pliable. I heat them up under a damp paper towel in the microwave.
- Creamy Avocado Salsa: This salsa recipe is so easy to make and lasts in the fridge for up to a week! If you don't have the time to make fresh salsa store-bought is fine. I do suggest going with a fresh tomatillo salsa for the best flavor!
Calories: 634kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 2709mg | Potassium: 889mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 5mg