Pan-seared halibut slathered in spicy, sriracha aioli, topped with fresh microgreens and sandwiched between a super-soft brioche bun! Trust me, you’re going to want to add these quick + easy halibut burgers to your weeknight dinner routine!
I promise you these burgers only look fancy! They are super quick and easy to make, and most importantly they’re insanely delicious! These halibut burgers became a staple in my weekly dinner routine after making them for the first time. The fish cooks in under five minutes and the rest of the recipe is just assembling. I’m a big proponent of a 30 minutes meal and this recipe falls right into that category.
Ingredients in this recipeâ
Fish: I prefer a sturdy, firm-fleshed fish like halibut. Grouper, striped bass, swordfish, or tilapia will also work.
Microgreens: There are many different types of microgreens, I like micro radish leaves. If you can’t find microgreens you can use mixed greens.
Brioche Buns: I love soft, buttery brioche buns for all kinds of burgers. Potato buns are a great alternative if you can’t find brioche.
Sriracha Aioli: Sriracha aioli adds the perfect balance of sweet, tangy spice!
Fresh Fish Tips + Tricksâ
How to buy fresh fish:
-Go to a proper fish market whenever possible!
-Talk to your fishmonger: Ask when the fish was delivered. Buy a piece of fish that was delivered that day or the day before at the latest.
-Smell the fish! Fish should smell like the sea, not “fishy”.
-Halibut fillets should be bright white, shiny and glistening
How to store fish: As soon as I bring fish home from the market I remove it from its packaging and place it on a paper towel-lined plate then cover it with an additional paper towel and put it back in the refrigerator. The paper towels absorb excess moisture and help keep your fish fresher, longer.
What to Serve with Halibut Burgersâ
Step One: Gather all of the ingredients to make the burgers. Prepare the sriracha aioli and set aside.
Step Two: Season the halibut filets then sear on both sides in a hot cast-iron pan. Turn off the heat, squeeze lemon juice over the fish and set aside.
Step Three: Assemble the burgers! Pile microgreens on the bottom bun, top with a filet of halibut then slater with sriracha aioli. Serve immediately!
Halibut Burgers with Spicy Sriracha Aioli
- 12 oz filet of halibut (about one inch thick) skinless, cut into 2 even portions
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 brioche hamburger buns
- 1 c micro greens
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c mayo
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Stir the mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lemon juice together in a small bowl to combine; season with salt, set aside.
- Preheat a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Season the halibut filets with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Add a small splash of oil to the pan, just enough to lightly coat the bottom. Sear the fish for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Take the fish out of the pan and squeeze a bit of lemon juice over each filet.
- Pile microgreens on the bottom of a brioche bun, top with a filet of halibut and a gernerous dollop of srirracha aioli, add the top bun and serve immediately!
- As soon as I bring fish home from the market I remove it from its packaging and place it on a paper towel-lined plate then cover it with an additional paper towel and put it back in the refrigerator. The paper towels absorb excess moisture and help keep your fish fresher, longer.
- Go to a proper fish market whenever possible!
- Talk to your fishmonger: Ask when the fish was delivered. Buy a piece of fish that was delivered that day or the day before at the latest.
- Smell the fish! Fish should smell like the sea, not “fishy”.
- Halibut fillets should be bright white, shiny and glistening Â