A simple yet elegant heirloom tomato salad with lots of fresh basil and a creamy buttermilk dressing!
This creamy tomato salad with buttermilk-basil dressing is going to light up your summer dinner menu! If you’re curious about buttermilk-basil dressing let me just clear that up for you. It’s basically ranch for grown-ups! It’s creamy, tangy, garlicky, and infused with fresh basil. It’s the perfect dressing to toss with sweet peak-season summer tomatoes! If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can very easily make it yourself, check out the “how-to” below!
How to make your own buttermilk:
1 c milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
In a large jar or bowl- stir the lemon juice into the milk. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes it should be slightly thicker and you will see small curds starting to form. Voila! Fresh buttermilk!
More recipes with heirloom tomatoes:
Tomato Salad with Buttermilk-Basil Dressing
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 c basil leaves
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 c full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 small shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- In a blender or food processor pulse together the yogurt, buttermilk, basil leaves, shallot, and garlic until smooth and pourable. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes and cherry tomatoes on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour the buttermilk-basil dressing over the tomatoes and top with the fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately!