This light and fresh grilled chicken is topped with balsamic marinated tomatoes, fresh basil, and creamy mozzarella cheese. Not to mention, you only need five simple ingredients to pull off this healthy dinner!
This quick and easy five-ingredient dinner is the perfect recipe for when you’re craving something healthy, fresh, and super-satisfying! Sweet cherry tomatoes are marinated in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and tossed with basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese (you could also use burrata!) Pour this summery salad over grilled chicken breast and serve right away! It’s as easy as that! No need to fire up the grill either, an indoor grill pan will work just fine.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
All you need to make this recipe is five simple ingredients: boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Step 1. Grill the Chicken
You don’t have to use an outdoor BBQ for this recipe, a stove top grill pan will work just fine! Make sure it’s nice and hot then grill the chicken on both sides until cooked through.
Step 2. Marinate the Tomatoes
While the chickens on the grill combine the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, basil and fresh mozzarella in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Step 3. Serve
Step Four: Transfer the chicken to a large plate or platter, top with the marinated tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve immediately!
Yes, you can absolutely use boneless skinless chicken thighs, just be sure to cook them a bit longer.
Yes, you could use crumbled feta, goat cheese or mozzarella-adjacent burrata.
Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Grilled Chicken with Marinated Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 7 oz fresh baby mozzarella cheese balls (bocconcini or ciliegine, drained)
- 1 c basil leaves
- 2 c cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c olive oil + 2 tbsp neutral oil for grilling
- salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. In a bowl toss the chicken breasts with 2 tbsp neutral oil and a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the grill. For the best grill marks, don't move the chicken for 5 minutes. Cook the second side until grill marks appear, about 5 minutes more. Check the chicken for doneness with a thermometer. The chicken is ready when it registers 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place them in a large mixing bowl. Next, add in the mozzarella and basil leaves. Pour the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the tomato mixture, season with salt and pepper, gently stir until evenly combines.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate or platter, top with the marinated tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve immediately!
- Chicken: You can use chicken breast or boneless skinless thighs if you prefer.
- Mozzarella: If you can’t find small mozzarella balls (bocconcini) just use the regular large ovaline and cut into small bite sized pieces. You could also use crumbled feta, goat cheese or burrata instead.
- You can serve this grilled chicken alongside a nice fresh herb salad or roasted potatoes or even creamy parmesan polenta.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheated in a 350F oven for 5-10 minutes.