Spicy, tangy buffalo chicken breast tossed with crisp romaine lettuce, kale, and creamy buttermilk blue cheese dressing! This buffalo chicken salad is like game day in a bowl!
A big pile of buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing has always been my go-to guilty pleasure meal! This salad is all of that buffalo-blue cheese-chicken goodness tossed together with crisp lettuce and veggies. This salad is definitely easier to eat than buffalo wings and maybe a little healthier?
Blue Cheese vs. Ranch
I know, I know, a lot of people really hate blue cheese. I get it, it’s funky, sharp and the flavor is pretty intense. If you don’t like blue cheese feel free to make a ranch dressing instead! I like both and switch between the two depending on how I’m feeling that day.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Romaine Lettuce and Kale: I like the combination of chopped kale and romaine. The kale adds extra crunch and sturdiness that holds up really well to the saucy chicken and creamy dressing.
Buttermilk: Tangy buttermilk adds so much flavor to blue cheese dressing. Feeling adventurous? Check out this post: Three Ways to Make Buttermilk.
Buffalo Sauce: Franks Red Hot is the classic buffalo hot sauce. I add a little butter and honey to tone down the spice.
Celery: You can’t have buffalo chicken without celery!
Fresh Herbs: Chives, dill, or cilantro
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Make the Buffalo Sauce.
Whisk together the melted butter, honey and hot sauce then use half the sauce to marinate the chicken, reserve the second half for drizzling over your salad.
Step 2. Cook the chicken in a cast-iron pan.
Step 3. Make the buttermilk blue cheese dressing.
If you’re using bottled dressing skip this step.
Step 4: Assemble the salad.
Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing, season with salt and pepper, divide between bowls, and top with the buffalo chicken. Dig in!
FAQs, Tips & Tricks
There are some pretty good bottled blue cheese dressings in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. Feel free to use store-bought in a pinch!
Yes, and this salad is great for meal prep! Simply leave the dressing and buffalo sauce on the side and pack into Tupperware and this salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Check out more delicious salad recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Buffalo Chicken Salad with Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, chopped
- 1 c celery and or cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 handfull cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ c chopped herbs: chives, dill, or cilantro
- ¼ c crumbled high-quality blue cheese
Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ c crumbled high-quality blue cheese like roquefort
- ½ c mayo
- ½ c buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar
- black pepper
- ½ c Franks Red Hot
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Stir together the buffalo sauce ingredients. Pour half over the raw chicken and reserve the rest for later. Coat the chicken evenly in the sauce, season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in a cast-iron pan over medium/high heat until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the dressing: Whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, champagne vinegar, and grated garlic. Next, add in the blue cheese dressing and a few cranks of freshly cracked pepper. Use the back of a spoon to press the blue cheese into the mayo/buttermilk mixture.
- In a large bowl toss together the lettuce, kale, chopped veggies, herbs, and dressing. Next, add in the chicken. Divide the salad between bowls. Top with blue cheese crumbles and a drizzle of buffalo sauce. Serve immediately!
- Blue Cheese Dressing: ranch dressing, homemade or store-bought
- Buttermilk: plain yogurt
- Franks Red Hot: Texas Pete, or Tabasco
- Simply leave the dressing and buffalo sauce on the side and pack into Tupperware and this salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days.