Savory and sweet roasted winter vegetables tossed with maple syrup, cumin, rosemary, thyme, and sea salt. The perfect side dish for a cozy winter dinner!
Autumn is officially here and when I think of this time of year I think of warm and savory, caramelized roasted vegetables. This particular recipe is one I’ve made 100 times! Before roasting, I like to add a drizzle of maple syrup to bring out the sweetness in the vegetables, and cumin to enhances their savoriness.
Roasting veggies in the oven couldn’t be easier! Start to finish this recipe is ready in under an hour and it’s the perfect to side dish to all your favorite fall recipes like; Roasted Mushroom Risotto, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup, or Vegetarian French Onion Soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You can use any of your favorite root vegetables or winter squashes for this recipe! Turnips, beets, rutabagas, and celery root would all be great additions or substitutions.
Recipe Step by Step
Step 1. Season the Vegetables
Arrange the vegetables on the baking trays. Pour half the olive oil and maple syrup over each tray. Season with salt and pepper, cumin, rosemary, and thyme, toss until evenly coated.
Step 2. Roast
Roast the vegetables for 35-40 minutes until they are tender and caramelized.
Step 3. Serve
Pile the roasted vegetables onto a large platter or plate. Before serving, finish with flaky sea salt and a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves.
FAQ’s and Expert Tips
Nope! In fact, I prefer the way they taste with the skin on. Give your vegetables a good wash before roasting to ensure there isn’t any lingering dirt or impurities.
If vegetables are too crowded on the pan they will steam rather than caramelize. It is crucial to arrange your vegetables in one single layer with plenty of space in-between each piece. Use two sheet trays if you have to!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Maple and Cumin Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 medium-sized winter squash: delicata, kabocha or butternut seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 shallots skin on, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bunches carrots tops removed, halved lengthwise
- 4 parsnips quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Arrange the vegetables on the baking trays. Pour half the olive oil and maple syrup over each tray. Season with salt and pepper, cumin, rosemary, and thyme, toss until evenly coated.
- Roast the vegetables for 35-40 minutes until they are tender and caramelized.
- Pile the vegetables onto a large platter or plate. Before serving, finish with flaky sea salt and a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves.