This recipe for Roast Chicken with Toasted Bread Salad is inspired by one of my favorite dinners at Zuni Cafe in San Francisco!
I make this roast chicken inspired by San Francisco’s Zuni Cafe at least twice a month! It’s so easy to make and has all of my favorite flavors and ingredients. Chicken, lemons, crusty bread, peppery arugula, olive oil and lots of garlic!
Roast Chicken with Toasted Bread Salad, step by step →
Roast Chicken with Toasted Bread Salad
- 1 4lb chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 2 lemons, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread; baguette or country loaf
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 filets anchovy
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/2 c olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- On a large sheet, tray tosses the chicken pieces with the olive oil, thyme, lemon slices, salt, and pepper. Break the garlic up into individual cloves, no need to peel them, toss with the seasoned chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes until the skin is crispy and brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Meanwhile, tear the bread into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the roasted chicken, lemon slices, and four cloves of garlic (for the dressing) from the tray. Toss the torn bread with the pan drippings. Put the tray with the bread back in the oven. Turn the heat down to 350. Toast the bread until its golden brown- between 5-10 minutes.
- To make the dressing, remove the skin from the roasted garlic and place it in a blender. Blend the roasted garlic with the oil, lemon juice, anchovy, salt, and pepper.
- Put the roasted chicken on a large plate or platter. Toss the arugula and toasted bread with the dressing. Top the chicken with the salad, garnish with the roasted lemon slices and garlic. Serve immediately!