This lemony za’atar chicken and hummus bowl with cucumber and herb salad makes a great quick and healthy lunch or dinner option!
If you’re looking for a quick, healthy, and most importantly delicious lunch option you’re in luck! These za’atar chicken and hummus bowls are just that! Store-bought hummus is the base for these zesty bowls, top that with pan-seared chicken thighs seasoned with za’atar spice then finish it off with a bright and lemony cucumber and herb salad. This recipe is great for meal prep too!
Check out my recipe for Smooth and Creamy Homemade Hummus.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make Za’atar Chicken and Hummus Bowls: boneless skinless chicken thighs, lemon, olive oil, garlic, za’atar spice, hummus, cucumber, mint, dill, and feta cheese.
Recipe Step by Step
Step 1. Marinate and Cook the Chicken
Toss the chicken with the Za’atar spice, olive oil, garlic, zest, salt and pepper then cook in a preheated cast-iron pan.
Step 2. Make the Salad
Toss the salad ingredients together with lemon juice and olive oil.
Step 3. Build the Bowls
Smear the hummus into the bottom of a bowl then topped with the cooked chicken then the salad and feta cheese. Drizzle with any remaining dressing left in the bowl. Serve immediately.
Za’atar is a middle eastern spice blend that varies greatly from region to region. It is typically a base of sumac, thyme, sesame, marjoram, or oregano. It can also contain salt, dill, and citrus zest. I usually have a couple of different jars of za’atar on my shelf at home I like to try different varieties!
Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Za’atar Chicken and Hummus Bowls
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbsp za'atar spice
- zest from one lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 small Persian cucumbers thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 handfull dill coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves only
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 c hummus
- 6 oz feta cheese optional
- In a large bowl toss the chicken thighs with the olive oil, za'atar, grated garlic, lemon zest and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a sauté pan over medium/high heat. Cook the chicken thighs on one side, undisturbed for 5 minutes then flip to the second side and cook for another 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile toss together the salad ingredients in a bowl; sliced cucumber, onion, dill, mint leaves, lemon, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble divide the hummus between two bowls, use the back of a spoon to spread it across the bottom of the bowl. Top the hummus with the cooked chicken then the salad and feta cheese. Drizzle with any remaining dressing left in the bowl. Serve immediately.
DIY Za’atar Spice
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp thyme
this recipe turned out amazing (the lemony salad plus homemade hummus combo.. perfection), and the whole blog is going into my To-Do’s now! we also added roasted cherry tomatoes which i’d recommend,
Leigh Hyatt Anderson
thanks aurora! i’m so glad you liked it!