This lemony za’atar chicken and hummus bowl with cucumber and herb salad makes a great quick and healthy lunch or dinner option!
If you’re looking for a quick, healthy and most importantly delicious lunch option you’re in luck! These za’atar chicken and hummus bowls are just that! Store-bought hummus is the base for these zesty bowls, top that with pan-seared chicken thighs seasoned with za’atar spice then finish it off with a bright and lemony cucumber and herb salad. This recipe is great for meal prep too!
What is za’atar spice?
Za’atar is a middle eastern spice blend that varies greatly from region to region. It is typically a base of sumac, thyme, sesame, marjoram, or oregano. It can also contain salt, dill, and citrus zest. I usually have a couple of different jars of za’atar on my shelf at home I like to try different varieties!
1tbsp ground cumin
1tbsp sesame seeds
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined.
Za’atar Chicken and Hummus Bowls Steps→
Chicken Thighs vs. Chicken Breast
I personally prefer chicken thighs, they stay so juicy and moist when cooking! That being said I know a lot of people like chicken breast so feel free to use whichever you prefer. Just adjust the cooking time as needed. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees.
Za’atar Chicken and Hummus Bowls
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbsp za'atar
- zest from one lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 small Persian cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 handfull dill coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves only
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 c hummus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice from one lemon
- In a large bowl toss the chicken thighs with the olive oil, za'atar, grated garlic, lemon zest and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a sauté pan over medium/high heat. Cook the chicken thighs on one side, undisturbed for 5 minutes then flip to the second side and cook for another 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile toss together the salad ingredients in a bowl; sliced cucumber, onion, dill, mint leaves, lemon, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble divide the hummus between two bowls, use the back of a spoon to spread it across the bottom of the bowl. Top the hummus with the cooked chicken then the salad. Drizzle with any remaining dressing left in the bowl. Serve immediately.
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp thyme