This super cheesy, slightly spicy chorizo pizza is topped with fresh avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime juice! Serve with sour cream and fresh salsa for dipping!
This Mexican inspired pizza is ready in under 45 minutes and packed with flavor!
Dressing up a store-bought pizza dough has become a weekly tradition in my house. It makes dinner time so quick, easy, and satisfying! This chorizo and avocado pizza is made with Mexican chorizo and creamy Monterey jack cheese. After baking it’s finished with a zesty topping made with avocado, thinly sliced jalapeño, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Slice it up and serve with sour cream and fresh salsa on the side.
You can serve this pizza with store-bought salsa or level up with one of these fresh homemade salsas:
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
- Tomatillo Salsa
- Heirloom Tomato Pico de Gallo
- Choriqueso (Creamy Chorizo Queso Dip)
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s everything you’ll need to make chorizo and avocado pizza: store-bought pizza dough (or feel free to make your own), Mexican chorizo, Monterey Jack Cheese, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, sour cream, and salsa (any variety, choose your favorite).
Step 1. Roll out the dough
Roll the pizza dough out into a large circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet then top with the chorizo, cheese and onion.
Step 2. Bake
Bake the pizza for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Step 3. Make the Topping
Toss the jalapeño, avocado and cilantro together with lime juice and salt to make a fresh and flavorful topping for the pizza.
Step 4. Serve
Remove the pizza from the oven, top with the cilantro, jalapeño, avocado topping. Cut into slices and serve with sour cream and salsa on the side!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Mexican chorizo is made with ground, fresh, uncured pork and seasoned with achiote which gives it its bright red color. Spanish chorizo is a cured hard sausage seasoned with smoked paprika which gives it it’s signature red color.
-Bring the pizza dough to room temperature before attempting to roll it out.
-Flour the surface you’re rolling on to prevent sticking.
-Alternate between a rolling pin and your hands to press and stretch the dough.
Check Out More Great Recipes
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Chorizo and Avocado Pizza
- 1 lb store-bought pizza dough
- 9 oz Mexican Chorizo about a heaping cup
- 2 c shredded monteray jack cheese
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1 whole lime
- 1/2 c salsa store-bought is fine!
- 1/2 c sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough out into a large circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet. Crumble the chorizo over the pizza dough and top with the shredded cheese then the thinly sliced onion.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- While the pizza is in the oven place the cilantro, jalapeño, and avocado in a small bowl and toss with the juice and zest from the lime as well as a pinch of salt.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, top with the cilantro, avocado mixture. Cut into slices and serve with sour cream and salsa on the side!
- Chorizo: Make sure you buy Mexican chorizo rather than Spanish.
- Cilantro: If you don’t like cilantro you can omit it.
- Cheese: Monterey jack is my favorite cheese for this pizza however shredded mozzarella would be just as delicious!
- Salsa: You can serve this pizza with any type of salsa you like, choose your favorite!
Tips for rolling out pizza dough:
- Bring the pizza dough to room temperature before attempting to roll it out.
- Flour the surface you’re rolling on to prevent sticking.
- Alternate between a rolling pin and your hands to press and stretch the dough.
- If you have leftovers you can store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in the oven at 400 for 5 minutes. Remove any avocado before reheating, it won’t taste nice if it’s baked.