What makes this pizza so special? After taking this bubbling, cheesy, spicy soppressata pizza from the oven, it’s drizzled with honey! Spicy soppressata and sweet, golden honey is a surprising but delicious combination you must try!
Have you ever heard of a “bee sting” pizza? I hadn’t until a recent dinner at one of my favorite local Italian restaurants. As its name suggests, a bee stick pizza is spicy, hence the “sting” but also sweet because after baking, it’s drizzled with honey, which is where the “bee” comes in.
This recipe is super-simple and only requires a few ingredients! Start with store-bought pizza dough or make your own. After that, all you need is canned tomatoes, mozzarella, spicy soppressata (or pepperoni), and a little bit of honey. I love any dinner that I can throw on a sheet pan, put in the oven, and call it a day. For another excellent sheet pan dinner, check out these chicken tacos al pastor.
Step One: Roll the pizza dough out into a large rectangle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet, spread with the tomatoes, then a layer of soppressata, then cheese and then basil.
Step Two: Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Step Three: Remove the pizza from the oven and a drizzle of honey. Serve immediately!
Serve this sheet pan pizza with:
Sweet and Spicy Sheet Pan Pizza with Sopressata + Honey
- 1 16oz pizza dough
- 1 c crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 oz hot soppressata or spicy pepperoni
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, torn
- 6-8 basil leaves
- olive oil
- honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.Â
- In a small bowl season the crushed tomatoes with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough out into a large rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Spread the dough with the tomatoes, then a layer of soppressata, then cheese and then basil.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and a drizzle of honey. Serve immediately!