Melty and bubbling mozzarella and feta cheese baked in a crispy, golden brown pizza crust. This ooey-gooey khachapuri pizza makes for a simple, easy to make weeknight dinner!
Cheese and bread… a match made in heaven!
I had Khachapuri for the first time a few years ago when my brother James (also a chef) took me to dinner in Washington D.C at a Georgian restaurant, Supra. We of course ordered the specialty Khachapuri, a creamy, cheese-filled flatbread as well as a few light and fresh salads and glass after glass of delicious wines from Georgian wine country… it was my dream meal.
Khachapuri is served piping hot and often with an egg cracked right into the center. The best way to enjoy khachapuri is to tear off the crust and dip it into the bubbling, cheesy, eggy center!
This Khachapuri pizza recipe combines the perfection of the cheesy khachapuri center with a simple store-bought pizza crust–to keep things easy.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
To make these cheesy flatbreads all you need is; a fresh store-bought pizza dough, feta and mozzarella cheese, eggs, and a splash of olive oil.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Make the Filling
To make the cheesy filling simply mix both cheeses and one whole egg together in a mixing bowl.
Step 2. Fill and Bake
Stretch and roll the pizza dough into a large oval shape. Pile the filling in the center, leaving a one inch boarder around the edges. Pro Tip: room temperature pizza dough is much easier to work with. 30 minutes before you’re ready to bake place the dough in a greased mixing bowl, covered lightly with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel.
Step 3. Serve
As soon as the khachapuri comes out of the oven drop an egg yolk right in the center. If you’re really freaked out by raw egg yolk you can pop the pizza back in the oven until the yolk is done to your preference. Cut the khachapuri pizza into slices or tear off pieces of the crust and scoop up the bubbly filling.
FAQs and Expert Tips:
Khachapuri is a Georgian (the country not the state) flatbread filled with bubbling melty cheese baked into a golden brown crust.
Khachapuri is eaten with your hands and often shared communally. Starting at the very edges, break off a piece of the crust and dunk it into the cheesy and eggy center.
What to Serve with Khachapuri:
A simple, punchy salad is really all you need to complement the richness of the flatbread…
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Khachapuri Pizza (Georgian Cheese Bread)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 16 oz store-bought pizza dough
- 1 heaping cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1 whole egg, plus one egg yolk
- Preheat your oven to 425. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and a drizzle of olive oil, set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl fold together the mozzarella, feta and one whole egg.
- Use your hands to roll and stretch the pizza dough into a large round circle or oval shape then transfer it onto the prepared baking tray. Fill the center of the dough with the cheesy egg mixture leaving a 1-inch boarder around the edge of the pizza. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- To serve, drop an egg yolk right into the center hot the bubbling, hot cheese. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve piping hot! Cut the khachapuri pizza into slices or tear off pieces of the crust and scoop up the filling.
- If you’re freaked out by the idea of runny egg yolk you can pop the pizza back in the oven until the yolk is done to your preference or skip it all together.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refridgerator for up to three days. Reheat in a preheated 375F oven for 5-10 minutes.
Leave a Comment