The perfect everyday dinner salad is a classic side salad with crisp lettuce, chopped shallot, fresh herbs, and caper-cornichon vinaigrette. Add grilled chicken or steak to make it a complete meal all on its own.
This bright a fresh herby salad is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Sometimes that’s all you need right? A supportive sidekick to the star of the show. Serve it alongside roasted salmon, baked lasagna, or grilled chicken. The everyday dinner salad is made with torn lettuces, fresh flavorful herbs, shaved radish and a zesty caper-cornichon vinaigrette.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Side Salad:
- Wash your lettuce in ice-cold water and dry it really well! The lettuce must be dry, if it’s not the dressing will slide right off and you will be left with a wet, flavorless salad. I highly suggest investing in a salad spinner. I love mine and use it almost daily.
- Tear your green into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss your salad with a flavorful dressing. Follow this link to learn how to make a perfect vinaigrette!
- Season your salad. Yes, that’s right, salads need seasoning too! Season your salad with salt and pepper while you’re tossing it with the dressing.
- Add herbs! Fresh, tender, leafy herbs add so much flavor to a salad. Some of my favorites are mint, chives, tarragon, dill, and parsley.
- Taste your salad before serving. Does it need more salt or pepper? Maybe a touch more acid or sweetness? Adjust the flavors as needed before you serve it.
Everyday Dinner Salad
- 2-3 heads assorted lettuces or four heaping cups of mixed greens
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 c torn mixed herbs (such as mint, parsley, tarragon and/or dill)
- 2 radishes thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp cornichon
- 1/2 c olive oil
- Wash the lettuce and herbs in ice-cold water then dry in a salad spinner or on dish towels.
- Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl along with the shaved radish and herbs.
- Toss the salad with the vinaigrette, just enough to coat the leaves. Season with salt and pepper, serve immediately!
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, shallot, capers, cornichon, and dijon mustard. While whisking slowly streaming in the olive oil to emulsify your dressing together.