This decidedly grown-up salad combines pleasantly bitter radicchio and treviso tossed with grainy mustard vinaigrette, chopped walnuts, sweet persimmons, and creamy blue cheese!
Creamy blue cheese, sweet persimmons, and super acidic grainy mustard vinaigrette perfectly balance the bitterness of the radicchio leaves. This flavorful fall salad is the perfect complement to roasted meat or fish.
There are two types of persimmons at the market; Fuyu and Hachiya. For this recipe use Fuyu persimmons. Prepare the Fuyus but cutting off the stem at the top then slice into 1/4 inch half-moons.
Grainy mustard vinaigrette has the perfect amount of acidity to balance the bitter radicchio and treviso!
Persimmon + Blue Cheese Salad with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 heads treviso and/or radicchio
- 2 ripe Fuyu persimmons
- 4 oz blue cheese, like Roquefort
- 1/4 c toasted walnuts, chopped
- salt and pepper
Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp walnut or sesame oil
- 3 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- Pull back the radicchio and or treviso leaves and tear into bite-sized pieces,place into a large bowl. Cut the persimmons into quarter-inch slices and add them to the bowl as well along with the toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the two mustards, shallot, and vinegar. While whisking slowly stream in the olive oil and walnut oil/sesame oil. Toss the dressing with the salad. Season with salt a pepper. Serve immediately.