This elegant winter salad combines pleasantly bitter radicchio, sweet persimmons, toasted walnuts, creamy blue cheese and tangy grainy mustard vinaigrette!
Blue cheese and bitter lettuce is a classic combo! Adding persimmons gives this salad a nice sweetness and falls right in line with the winter theme. Creamy blue cheese balances everything out and grainy mustard vinaigrette ties it all together!
Speaking of… let’s talk about this dressing! Grainy mustard viniagrette with a touch of honey and walnut oil is a dressing you’re going to want to make again and again. It has such a unique umami flavor. Trust me–you may as well just make a double batch and keep the leftover for later in the week!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
All you need to make this recipe is a few seasonal, winter ingredients: persimmons, radicchio, shallot, walnuts, blue cheese, olive oil, vinegar, whole grain and dijon mustard, honey and walnut or sesame oil.
Check out the recipe notes at the bottom of the recipe card for all my ingredient substitution recommendations!
A note about persimmons: There are two types of persimmons at the market; Fuyu and Hachiya. For this recipe use Fuyu persimmons. Prepare the Fuyus but cutting off the stem at the top then slice into ¼ inch half-moons.
Step 1. Make the Viniagrette
Whisk together the vinaigrette in a bowl large enough to toss the salad in.
Step 2. Toss the Salad
In the same bowl, toss the rest of the salad ingredients then arrange everything on a large plate or platter. Don’t forget to season your salad with salt and pepper!
FAQs and Expert Tips:
Radicchio is part of the chicory family along other hearty, bitter lettuces like; endive, frisée and escarole. You could mix and match any of these chicories in this salad.
Yes! If you don’t like blue cheese you can substitute goat cheese.
Check Out More Great Salad Recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Persimmon and Blue Cheese Salad with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 heads radicchio or treviso
- 3 ripe Fuyu persimmons
- 4 oz blue cheese like Roquefort
- ¼ c chopped toasted walnuts
- salt and pepper
Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp vinegar sherry, champagne, or apple cider
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 tbsp walnut or toasted sesame oil
- ¼ c olive oil
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the dressing ingredients except the oil. Then, while whisking slowly stream in the olive oil and walnut oil or sesame oil. Taste and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pull back the radicchio leaves and tear into bite-sized pieces then place into a large bowl. Cut the persimmons into quarter-inch slices and add them to the bowl along with the toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese. Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing. Arrange on a large plate or platter. Season with salt a pepper and serve immediately!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
- Radicchio: you could use any variety of chicory lettuce like: endive, frisée, treviso or escarole.
- Persimmons: use Fuyu persimmons for this recipe. If you can’t find persimmons, pear or apple would be a good substitute.
- Vinegar: I’m really not picky about vinegar in salad dressing, especially this one. Sherry, champagne, or apple cider vinegar will all work.
- Walnut Oil: Sesame oil is a perfect alternative for walnut oil. If you already have sesame on hand just go with that!
- Blue Cheese: If you don’t like blue cheese you can substitute goat cheese.