French green beans (aka haricot vert) with sweet and savory caramelized shallots are an essential side dish for a rich and comforting Thanksgiving dinner!
The thing I love about these green beans (or haricot vert) is that they add lightness and brightness to rich and heavy dinners. For instance, these beans are a staple on my Thanksgiving table and they add a freshness that can be often overlooked on a day like Thanksgiving where every side dish is buttery and creamy (and rightfully so).
French green beans, also known as haricot vert, are thinner, more tender, and flavorful than traditional green beans. You can easily find them in most grocery stores, especially around the holidays. Just make sure you trim off the woody stem before cooking.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Here’s everything you need to make this recipe: haricot vert or green beans, shallots, butter, and just a little bit of sugar.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Caramelize the Shallots
Take your time with caramelizing the shallots and keep a close eye on them to make sure they do not burn. The darker and more caramelized they are the deeper their flavor will be.
Step 2. Blanch the Green Beans
Blanch the green beans in a salted pot of boiling water. You can do this ahead of time, just be sure to cool them down completely in an ice bath, then reheat them in the butter just before you’re ready to serve.
Step 3. Assemble and Serve
To serve toss the blanched green beans with butter and half the caramelized shallot. Top with the remaining shallot and serve right away!
French green beans are also known as “haricot vert” are thinner, more tender, and flavorful than traditional green beans. You could also use regular green beans for this recipe.
Yes, you can make this recipe dairy-free by replacing the butter with olive oil or a dairy-free butter substitute.
Check out more great side dishes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
French Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- 2 lb haricot vert washed and trimmed
- 8 large shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 tbsp butter divided
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Heat 4 tbsp of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sliced shallot and a pinch of salt. Cook the shallots, stirring often until they are soft and translucent. When they begin to turn golden brown turn heat down to low, sprinkle in the sugar and continue to cook until very soft, and caramelized about 25 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.
- Next, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beans to the pot and cook for 3-5 minutes until they become bright green and tender. Drain the beans and put them back into the pot with the rest of the butter and half of the caramelized shallots.
- Toss the beans with the butter and shallots then transfer to a serving platter and top with the remaining caramelized shallots. Serve immediately!
To make this recipe vegan or dairy-free: replace the butter with olive oil or a dairy-free butter substitute.
Storing Leftovers: French Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots will stay fresh for up to three days in the refrigerator. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap before refrigerating. Reheat in the microwave or oven.