Creamy, brothy white beans simmered until tender in savory chicken stock with herbs, shallot, olive oil and parmesan rind. Finish them off with a squeeze of fresh lemon, cracked black pepper and grated parmesan cheese. These beans are cozy, comforting and oh so easy to make!
These savory, brothy white beans cooked in chicken stock with aromatic shallots, garlic and thyme can be eaten alongside roast chicken, salad and good quality toasty bread OR all on their own as a comforting, warm bowl of soup. They are delicious either way.
How to Soak Dried Beans:
Dried beans need to be soaked before cooking to pre-soften them. Soaking helps them cook faster and more evenly, and it can also make them easier to digest. To do this, place the dried beans in a bowl and cover with cold water. Put the bowl in the refrigerator to soak for at least 6 hours or up to 24.
Step 1. Sauté the Aromatics
Sauté the shallots, garlic and thyme in olive oil to create a flavorful base for the beans. Once the shallots and garlic are soft and aromatic it’s time to add in the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2: Simmer The Beans
Next, add in the beans, broth and parmesan rind. Cover and simmer on low for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until creamy and tender!
Step 3: Serve
To serve, remove and discard the thyme stems and parmesan rind. Taste and season the beans with salt and pepper. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and freshly grated parm!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Brothy White Beans with Parmesan & Lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 c dried white beans like: navy beans, cannellini beans, “great northern” beans or lima beans soaked overnight and strained
- 6 c chicken stock preferably homemade
- 1 hunk parmesan rind about 3 inches
- salt and pepper
- 4 thick slices of toasted bread
- parmesan cheese
- lemon slices
- 1/4 c minced parsley optional
- In a large pot or cast iron dutch oven, saute the shallot, garlic, and thyme in olive oil over medium/low heat until translucent and aromatic.
- Next, add in the soaked white beans, chicken stock, and parmesan rind. Bring to a low simmer, and cover. Simmer the beans, for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs until they are tender and creamy.
- Remove and discard the rind and any thyme stems, taste and season with salt. Ladle the beans and broth into bowls. Top with freshly cracked black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with a thick slice of toasted bread and freshly grated parmesan!