This soup reminds me of cacio e pepe meets pasta al limone! The flavors are far more sophisticated than you might expect, especially coming from store-bought ravioli and boxed chicken stock! The best part? This creamy, lemony, soup is so simple you can make it in under 30 minutes and all in one pot!
This recipe is all about dressing up a package of store bought tortellini. Almost any flavored filling works for this soup; spinach and cheese, or chicken are my go-to’s. Head to the refrigerated aisle for a wide variety of fresh stuffed pastas. Once you’ve got your pasta picked out all you need to make this creamy, delicious soup is a few simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry!
If you love this lemon-spinach-parmesan flavor profile you’re also going to want to check out these recipes: Lemon Ricotta Pasta, Bucatini al Limone, and Cacio e Pepe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s everything you’ll need to make Creamy Tortellini Soup: store-bought tortellini, fresh baby spinach, chicken broth, lemon, parmesan cheese, cream, and freshly cracked black pepper.
Recipe Step By Step
Step 1. Simmer
In a large pot bring the broth and cream to a simmer.
Step 2. Tortellini
Next, add in the tortellini. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Depending on the brand of tortellini you’re using cooking times may vary.
Step 3. Spinach and Lemon
Last, add in the spinach and lemon juice. Divide between bowls and serve with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Use a “fresh” tortellini from the refrigerated or frozen section of the super market. As for the filling I suggest cheese, spinach, or chicken, something mild in flavor.
You could add diced potato, zucchini, kale, diced celery, carrot or onion to this soup. You could also add shredded rotisserie chicken.
Check our more delicious soup recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Lemon and Parmesan Cheese
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 c heavy cream
- 8 oz store-bought tortellini
- 3 c baby spinach
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ c parmesan cheese for serving
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large pot bring the chicken stock to a simmer then add in the cream, a pinch of salt, and a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the tortellini to the pot and cook and for 5 minutes (or longer if needed, check the cooking time of the package) then turn off the heat, add in the spinach and lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Divide the soup between bowls, top with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Use a “fresh” tortellini from the refrigerated or frozen section of the super market. As for the filling I suggest cheese, spinach, or chicken, something mild in flavor.
- You could add diced potato, zucchini, kale, diced celery, carrot or onion to this soup. You could also add shredded rotisserie chicken.
I love this recipe. I like to make it with no lemon or spinach put a Parmesan rind in during the simmer and a pinch of garlic powder
I added sautéed onions and carrots. And lots of dashes of garlic powder. Super relish.