This cozy and comforting wild rice and mushroom soup will warm you up on even the coldest winter days!
This wild rice and mushroom soup if one of my all-time favorite comforting dinners for cold weather. I like to make a big batch to have in the fridge, that way it’s ready to go whenever you need it during the week!
This soup gets all its creaminess from coconut milk which means it’s totally dairy-free! If you want to make it vegan or vegetarian you can easily swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
Don’t skimp on the caramelizing of the onions and mushrooms, this step is where the soup gets most of its rich umami flavor!
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup (Dairy-Free)
- 1 c wild rice
- 8 c chicken stock
- 1 lb assorted mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add in the rice. Simmer the rice for 25 minutes then drain and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven melt the coconut oil. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften and caramelize about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the cooked wild rice to the pot and gradually stir in the stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender about 30 minutes. Taste the soup and season with salt as needed then ladle into bowls, top with freshly cracked black pepper and serve.