The BEST ever creamy, comforting loaded potato soup with cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onion!
This quick and easy potato soup with cheddar and bacon is one of my all-time favorite comfort food meals! This time of year I could eat a bowl of soup every day. Luckily, it’s very easy to make, is ready in less than an hour and can be made all in one pot!
Tips for Creamy Cheddar, Bacon, and Potato Soup→
-Tips for blending the soup: I use an immersion blender whenever I blend soups. It’s honestly one of my all-time favorite kitchen tools! You can also use a regular blender however I don’t recommend blending hot soup that way so be sure to let it cool down a bit first then blend in batches.
-For best results, shred your own cheese. Not only is it cheaper, but it also melts SO much better than the pre-shredded kind.
-Seasoning the soup: I season this soup just at the end because the bacon and cheddar cheese are pretty salty already, it may not even need any additional salt. Always taste first before adding salt.
-Serve this soup with one of these great salads:
How long will this soup last in the fridge/freezer?
Once the potato soup is cooked, let cool then store in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to three months.
How to re-heat this soup→
To Microwave: Cover loosely with a paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until hot. Stir halfway through.
For Stove Top: Pour soup into a pot or saucepan. Heat on medium/low, stirring frequently until hot. Do not boil.
Creamy Cheddar, Bacon, and Potato Soup
- 1.5 lbs russet potatoes about three, peeled and diced
- 8 oz bacon roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 8 c chicken stock
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1.5 c cheddar cheese plus more for serving
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- sour cream for serving optional
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the bacon and saute until crispy and brown. Remove the bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels. Leave about 2-3 tbsp of bacon fat in the pot.
- Next, sauté the onion in the bacon fat until translucent and soft then add in the diced potato and half of the cooked bacon. Pour in the chicken stock, bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are completely tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, pour in the cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Turn off the heat then use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is thick and creamy. Taste and season with salt if needed. Divide the soup between bowls, top with shredded cheese, sour cream (optional) the rest of the cooked bacon, chopped scallion and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately!