These savory cheddar, ricotta, and bacon scones are absolutely delicious on their own or warmed up and served with poached eggs and a pat of butter.
These are my Christmas morning scones! Pillowy soft buttermilk scones with crispy bacon and cheddar cheese. They don’t need much but if you feel so inclined, serve them warm with eggs (any style) and a pat of butter. It really doesn’t get any better!
Cheddar-Ricotta + Bacon Scones step by stepâ
Don’t toss the excess bacon fat, it gets mixed into the scones with the butter!
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cheddar-Ricotta + Bacon Scones
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 c cold buttermilk
- 11 tbsp cold butter
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 c whole milk ricotta
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- Dice the bacon and cook it in a pan until it is golden brown a crispy. Strain the cooked bacon pieces through a sieve over a bowl to catch the bacon fat. Chill the bacon bits and fat in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Use a box grater to grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Add the reserved, chilled bacon fat to the bowl as well. Use your fingertips to work the butter and bacon fat into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Work quickly so that the butter does not melt.
- Next, use a wooden spoon to stir in the grated cheddar, buttermilk, ricotta, and scallions, do not overmix. If the dough is too dry add more buttermilk. Transfer to a well-floured surface and use your hands to gently work the dough together. If the dough is too sticky, add flour until it is manageable.Â
- Flatten the dough to about 1.5 inches thick then press a round biscuit cutter straight down into the dough and drop the scone onto your prepared baking sheet. Cut out as many scones as possible then gently re-work the dough and cut out more scones, repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Before baking chill the scones for 15 minutes in the fridge or freezer. When ready brush the tops with buttermilk then sprinkle with grated cheddar, bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.