Smokey and Sweet five spice blackened salmon with apple slaw is a healthy and delicious meal that packs up nicely for lunch on the go!
This simple, healthy blackened salmon with apple slaw combines some of my all-time favorite flavors; sweet, salty, and smokey! The salmon is coated in a flavorful spice rub made up of five spice powder, paprika and a touch of sugar. Together these ingredients form a sweet and smokey crust around the salmon that goes perfectly with the creamy, crunchy apple slaw served underneath!
Five-spice is a Chinese spice blend made up of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechuan peppercorns. You can typically find it in most grocery stores nowadays or you can order it online here.
Coat the salmon thoroughly on all sides with the five spice mixture!
Toss the cabbage, apple, onion with the slaw dressing!
Love Five Spice Blackened Salmon with Apple Slaw? Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Five Spice Blackened Salmon with Apple Slaw
- 2 c shredded cabbage
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 c mayo
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
Blackened Five Spice Salmon
- 16 oz center-cut filet of salmon skin off
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Place the five-spice, sugar, salt, and smoked paprika on a plate and mix to combine. Press the salmon into the spice mixture, coating it thoroughly on all sides.
- Place the salmon on a baking tray lined with parchment. Drizzle with the oil and cook for 10 minutes or until the salmon is cooked to your liking.
- In the meantime make the slaw dressing in a bowl; whisk together the mayo, dijon, vinegar, and sugar. Toss the cabbage, apple, and onion with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the slaw between two plates and top each with the cooked salmon. Serve immediately!