Kimchi Carbonara is going to be your new weeknight go-to dinner!
Kimchi carbonara was inspired by one of my favorite Korean dishes, kimchi fried rice. When it comes to the table kimchi fried rice is topped with a raw egg yolk. When you break the yolk and stir it into the rice the flavor and texture is incredible! That experience is what I wanted to re-create in this kimchi carbonara! The flavor of the spicy, tangy kimchi and creamy egg yolk and butter tossed with fresh pasta is unbelievably good! Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
Kimchi Carbonara Pro tip:
Anytime you’re making a carbonara there is a risk for overcooking the eggs. To avoid scrambled eggs in your pasta first, toss the cooked spaghetti, kimchi and egg yolk in a large bowl off the heat then, transfer that mixture back onto the stove over VERY low heat, stirring constantly and just for one minute.
Kimchi Carbonara steps:
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 1 c kimchi
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp butter, cold
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a food processor pulse the kimchi until it is finely chopped. Place the chopped kimchi in a large bowl with the egg yolks and butter.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Before draining, reserve 1/4c pasta water. After draining, leave the empty pot on the stove with the heat off to finish cooking the pasta in later.
- Put the cooked spaghetti in the bowl with the kimchi, eggs, and butter. Stir all of the ingredients together. Pour in the reserved pasta water.
- Return the pasta to the pot on the stove. If this pot is still fairly warm that will be enough heat to finish cooking the sauce, If not turn the burner on to the lowest setting. Working quickly to avoid overcooking- stir the pasta and kimchi sauce together in the pot until the butter is fully melted and the sauce thickens slightly and clings to the pasta. Turn off the heat. Divide between bowls, top each bowl with scallion and sesame seeds. Enjoy immediately!