This super-quick kimchi brown rice breakfast bowl is inspired by one of my favorite Korean dishes; kimchi fried rice! Hearty brown rice is cooked with with probiotic-rich kimchi, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce then top it off with a crispy fried egg!
Kimchi brown rice breakfast bowls are my favorite way to use leftover rice from last night’s takeout. Super simple, satisfying, and full of fermented kimchi, brown rice and sesame this kimchi “fried” rice makes the perfect quick and easy breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This recipe is endlessly adaptable! Make it your own by adding your favorite veggies like; mushrooms, carrots and wilted greens. I love to add a little heat and usually top my rice with a generous drizzle of chili oil!
If you enjoy this recipe you will also love: Creamy Coconut Brown Rice Porridge
Ingredients You’ll Need:
All you need to make this recipe is a few simple ingredients: cooked brown rice, kimchi, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, green onion, toasted sesame seeds, soy sauce and eggs. Optional: something spicy for serving like chili oil, sriracha or gochujang.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Saute the Aromatic Ingredients
Saute the onion, garlic and sliced ginger in sesame oil. Next, add in the rice.
Step 2. Cook the Eggs
Cook the rice for about 5 minutes, letting it get a bit crispy on the bottom of the pan then add in the kimchi and a drizzle of soy sauce. In a separate pan cook two eggs sunny side up or over easy.
Step 3. Serve
To serve, divide the rice between two bowls and sprinkle with fresh scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Top each bowl with an egg. Serve with soy sauce on the side.
FAQs and Expert Tips:
Kimchi is a staple condiment in Korean cuisine. It’s an intensely flavorful fermented cabbage seasoned with a variety of ingredients like scallion, garlic, chilis, ginger, fish sauce and others. Kimchi is served with most meals in Korea as a side dish or condiment. Kimchi flavors are complex and vary between sour, spicy, sweet and umami.
To reheat fried rice in the microwave: sprinkle a bit of water over the rice, then drape a damp paper towel over the bowl before heating it to make sure it doesn’t dry out. You can also reheat it in a sauté pan: give it a generous sprinkle of water, and heat with the lid on over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
Check out More Great Recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Kimchi Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 whole scallions thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ c kimchi + 3 tbsp juice from the jar roughly chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce plus more for serving
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sesame oil to the pan along with the sliced garlic, ginger and scallion whites (reserve the green tops to garnish at the end.) When the garlic and scallion is fragrant and beginning to brown add in the cooked rice.
- Cook the rice, undisturbed, pressing it down with a spatula so it makes good contact with the pan, until rice begins to crisp, about 2 minutes. Give it a toss, then press down on it again, cooking until you get more crispy bits, about 2 minutes.
- Next add the kimchi and soy sauce, cook another 3 minutes, stirring to combine the ingredients. In a separate pan cook the eggs to your liking; sunny side up, over easy or poached.
- To serve, divide the kimchi fried rice between two bowls and top each with a fried egg and the remaining scallions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately!