This kimchi brown rice breakfast bowl is a healthier version of a traditional kimchi fried rice. I use brown rice and sauté it with probiotic-rich kimchi, garlic, and soy sauce then top it off with a crispy fried egg!
Kimchi brown rice breakfast bowls are my favorite way to use leftover rice from last night’s takeout. Super simple, satisfying, and full of healthy kimchi, brown rice and sesame this kimchi “fried” rice makes the perfect quick and easy breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Gochujang is a Korean fermented chili paste. It’s concentrated flavor adds depth to whatever you’re cooking. But be warned, it’s spicy!
Kimchi Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl step by step→
Kimchi Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 c kimchi, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 whole scallions slice the whites into one-inch pieces and the green tops into thin slivers
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 sunny side up fried eggs
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan along with the sliced garlic and scallion whites (reserve the green tops to garnish at the end.) When the garlic and scallion if fragrant and beginning to brown add in the cooked rice and kimchi. Saute for two minutes.
- Add soy sauce and sesame oil and cook another 2 minutes, stirring to combine ingredients.
- Divide the kimchi fried rice between two plates and top each with a fried egg and the remaining scallions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.