This better than take out udon noodle stir fry is packed with mushrooms, broccoli, and a sweet and savory soy and sesame sauce. No need to order in when you’ve got this recipe in your back pocket!
This udon noodle stir fry comes together in under 30 minutes making it one of my go-to weeknight dinners!
This is one of those meals you can ideally make without a trip to the grocery store. I keep frozen udon noodles in my fridge at all times. They cook in under a minute and as long, as you’ve got some veggies and soy sauce you can have a satisfying bowl of noodles in under 30 minutes. It’s easily adaptable too, add in chicken, tofu, shrimp or beef for extra protein!
Udon noodles can be found fresh or frozen in most Asian markets and grocery stores. Check and see if there is an H Mart in your area, it’s one of my favorite chains and they have been opening more and more locations lately.
Udon Noodle Stir Fry Step by Step →
Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- 2 packs fresh or frozen udon noodles
- 1 small bunch broccolini or Chinese broccoli
- 1 heaping cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp neutral oil like avocado or grapeseed
- lime wedges for serving
- 1 Thai or serrano chili thinly sliced for serving
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- juice from one lime
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Drop the broccolini in the water and cook for 1 minute until bright green and tender, drain and run under cool water to stop the cooking process. Refill the pot, bring to a boil and cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce then set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat. Add a splash of neutral oil to the pan, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are golden brown and the garlic is fragrant then add the broccolini and noodles. Saute another 2 minutes then pour in the sauce, tossing and stirring constantly until all the noodles and vegetables are well coated.
- Divide the noodles between bowls, serve with sliced chili and lime wedges.