Sweet and creamy vanilla-infused coconut porridge topped with strawberry jam!
This cozy and sweet brown rice porridge topped with strawberry jam is nourishing, filling and only requires four simple ingredients. It’s similar to a bowl of oatmeal but the brown rice gives it a heartier texture and the coconut milk makes it so creamy! Brown rice porridge is so much better than oatmeal in my opinion!
Ingredients in Brown Rice Porridge →
Coconut Milk: I love the creaminess of canned coconut milk. You can, however, use any kind of milk in this recipe. Regular dairy milk works as well as almond or soy.
Brown Rice: I prefer the texture of brown rice to white for this porridge but both will technically work. If you’re going to use white rice cut the cooking time by about half.
Vanilla Bean: If you don’t have vanilla beans on hand you can use vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste!
Jam: I love strawberry jam but any flavor of jam will work, or top your porridge with fresh fruit!
Creamy Coconut + Brown Rice Porridge
- 1/2 c short-grain brown rice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk 1 tbsp reserved for garnish
- 1/2 c water
- one vanillla bean pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- strawberry jam
- pinch of salt
- Rinse the brown rice really well under cold water then transfer it to a pot. Cover the rice with the coconut milk, water, and salt. Cut open the vanilla bean pod. Use the back of a knife to scrape out the seeds and add them to the pot along with the pod itself.
- Simmer the porridge on low 30-40 minutes. Stir frequently. When it's done it will be thick and creamy. If it becomes too thick while it's cooking you can add more water as needed. Remove the vanilla pods from the pot. Divide the porridge between bowls and top with strawberry jam and a drizzle of the reserved coconut milk. Enjoy immediately!