Garlicky roasted mushrooms in a creamy white wine and parmesan cheese sauce tossed with rigatoni and finished with parsley and lemon zest!
This recipe for creamy mushroom and garlic pasta is warm and comforting but not overly rich! You can use any mushrooms you like for this recipe. I use a variety of different types; maitake (hen of the woods) are my favorite, shitakes and chanterelles are great and really flavorful, creminis, baby bellas and button mushrooms all work well too!
→ Serve Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Pasta with my favorite Everyday Dinner Salad!
How to wash + prep mushrooms for cooking:
Washing: Rinse the mushrooms well under cold water to remove any dirt then place them between two kitchen towels and pat dry. Try to absorb as much of the excess water as you can. The drier the better for cooking.
Chopping: If you’re using larger mushrooms cut them in half or quarters otherwise leave them whole and just remove and discard the stems.
Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Pasta
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 1 lb assorted mushrooms: button, shitake, maitake
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 c grated parm, plus more for serving
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 c dry white wine
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- zest from one lemon
- In a large pot or high sided sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Saute the mushrooms until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Next add the butter, shallot, garlic and a good pinch of salt. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently until the shallots are translucent and the garlic is aromatic.
- Next, add the wine. Bring the wine to a simmer and reduce it by about half (you don't want it to completely evaporate.) Add in the cream last, bring it to a simmer then turn off the heat. Add the cooked pasta, parmesan cheese, and lemon zest and parsley to the pot. Stir everything together until the pasta is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Divide the pasta between bowls, top with extra grated parmesan and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately!