The perfect side dish for any occasion from elegant holiday dinners to breezy weeknight meals. These sticky and sweet roasted carrots with maple-ginger glaze are quick, versatile and come out perfect every time!
PSA: carrots *do not* have to be boring! With a little help from fresh ginger, cinnamon, maple syrup and orange zest, the humble carrot is transformed into an exceptionally delicious side dish!
First, the carrots are tossed with maple syrup, olive oil, cinnamon and ginger. As they bake in the oven the maple syrup reduces into a sticky-sweet glaze that coats each carrot. As soon as they come out the oven they’re tossed with orange zest for just a hint of fresh citrus flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
All you need is six-simple ingredients to make this recipe: carrots, olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, a knob of fresh ginger and the zest of one orange.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Peel and Trim the Carrots
To start, peel the carrots then trim them down into approximately 2-inch pieces. Toss them evenly with the maple syrup, olive oil, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
Step 2. Roast
Arrange the carrots in a single even layer on a baking tray. Note: if vegetables are too crowded on a baking tray they will steam rather than caramelize. It is crucial to arrange the carrots in one single layer with plenty of space in-between each piece. Use two sheet trays if you have to! Bake until tender and slightly caramelized, between 20-25 minutes.
Step 3. Serve
Once the carrots come out of the oven grate the orange zest over top and toss to coat. Serve warm!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes! The carrots can be prepared earlier in the day (or even the day before) and reheated in a 375F oven for 8-10 minutes.
It depends, and really it’s up to you. You don’t have to peel carrots before roasting, especially if you have really nice tender baby carrots from a farmers market. In that case you can just give them a good scrub. However, if the skin on your carrots looks rough or blemished just go ahead and peel them.
Check Out More Vegetable Side Dishes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Maple-Ginger Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 425F. For easy clean up, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel the carrots then cut them on the diagonal about 2-inches long. Make sure all the pieces are approximately the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Place the carrots in a large mixing bowl, along with the olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger and salt–toss to coat then spread them into a single even layer. Note: if vegetables are too crowded on a baking tray they will steam rather than caramelize. It is crucial to arrange the carrots in one single layer with plenty of space in-between each piece. Use two baking trays if you have to.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the carrots are tender, tossing once halfway through.
- Grate the zest of one orange over the carrots then toss to coat. Serve warm.
- Leftover roasted carrots can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a preheated 375F oven or in the microwave.