Bucatini with sun-dried tomato pesto is the perfect new recipe to add to your repertoire!
Who says pesto has to be made with basil and pine nuts? This recipe for sun-dried tomato pesto is breaking all the rules. Sun-dried tomatoes are packed with rich and savory umami flavors. When you blend them with roasted almonds, garlic, and the parmesan cheese the result is a creamy, “tomatoey” pesto ready to be tossed with freshly cooked pasta!
Ingredients used in this recipe:
Bucatini: Bucatini is a thick spaghetti with a hollow center. It is also my favorite pasta shape! It has a great chewy bite to it. It’s the perfect pasta to hold on to a heavy tomato sauce like this sun-dried tomato pesto. If you can’t find bucatini in your local grocery store get it here → Bucatini
Sun-Dried Tomatoes: This recipe works best with sun-dried tomatoes that are packed in oil. This brand is awesome → Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Bucatini with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 lb bucatini
- 1 c sundried tomatoes
- 1/4c grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c water
- salt and pepper
- Put the tomatoes, cheese, oil, vinegar, almonds, garlic and water in the base of a food processor or blender. Pulse the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to add a little more water. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the bucatini according to the directions on the package. Reserve one cup of pasta water before draining the pasta.
- Toss the cooked bucatini with the tomato pesto and a splash of the pasta water. Divide between bowls and enjoy immediately!