This sweet and salty white cheddar grilled cheese is filled with caramelized onion and fig jam! Fancy, grown-up grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food!
Grown-up grilled cheese!
I really do love a classic white bread and kraft singles grilled cheese but sometimes you need something a little more special. This melty, crunchy, white cheddar and fig grilled cheese is the perfect balance of salty and sweet! It reminds me of all my favorite elements of an after-dinner cheese plate piled between warm buttery toasty bread. This grilled cheese makes for the coziest fall lunch or dinner and pairs perfectly with a glass of buttery chardonnay!
White Cheddar + Fig Grilled Cheese Step by Step →
Sharp and creamy white cheddar cheese, sweet fig jam and caramelized onions come together to create the ultimate grown-up grilled cheese sandwich!
White Cheddar + Fig Grilled Cheese
- 4 thick slices of good quality bread
- 4-6 oz white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
- 4 tbsp fig jam
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- Heat a cast-iron pan over medium-low heat. Melt two tablespoons of butter and add in the thinly sliced onions. Season with salt. Let the onions carmelize for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Assemble the sandwiches; spread the fig jam first, then add the cheese and caramelized onions. Melt the butter in the cast-iron pan and toast the sandwiches on medium-low heat. When the bread is golden brown on both sides and the cheese inside is melted take the sandwiches out of the pan. Slice in half and serve right away!