This sweet and salty white cheddar grilled cheese is filled with caramelized onion and fig jam! Fancy, grown-up grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food!
If you’re looking to take your grilled cheese game to the next level you’ve some to the right place!
This melty, crunchy, white cheddar and fig grilled cheese is the perfect balance of salty and sweet! It’s filled with flavor from the savory-salty white cheddar cheese to the gentle sweetness of the the caramelized onions. A layer of fig jam ties it all together and balances out the salty richness from the cheese and onions. This combo is heavenly!
This grilled cheese makes for the coziest fall lunch or dinner and pairs perfectly with a light and fresh salad and a glass of buttery chardonnay!
White Cheddar and Fig Grilled Cheese Step by Step :
First, caramelize the onions. This can be done well ahead–even 2-3 days ahead of time if needed.
Next, assemble the sandwiches and toast on both sides until golden brown and melty!
Check out More Delicious Recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
White Cheddar and Fig Grilled Cheese
- 4 thick slices good quality sourdough or whole grain bread
- 4-6 oz white cheddar cheese , thinly sliced or shredded
- 4 tbsp fig jam
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- Heat a cast-iron pan over medium-low heat. Melt two tablespoons of butter and add in the thinly sliced onions. Season with salt. Let the onions carmelize for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Assemble the sandwiches; spread the fig jam first, then add the cheese and caramelized onions. Melt the butter in the cast-iron pan and toast the sandwiches on medium-low heat. When the bread is golden brown on both sides and the cheese inside is melted take the sandwiches out of the pan. Slice in half and serve right away!