Spicy sausage cast iron pizza with Calabrian chilis and burrata will bring your delivery pizza habit to a halt! There’s simply no need to order in once you have this recipe in your repertoire. Sweet Italian sausage, spicy Calabrian chilis, and creamy burrata are the perfect toppings for this five-ingredient homemade pizza. If you’re not a fan of spice you can substitute roasted red pepper instead of the chilis.
The key to great homemade pizza:
While I hope to have a pizza oven in my back yard one day, I’m not quite there yet. I don’t even have a backyard… or front yard for that matter! *sigh* Until then, here’s how I’m getting super crispy, delicious homemade pizza in my not-great apartment oven. My trick is to bake it in a preheated cast iron pan. Meaning, while you’re preheating your oven to 425 you cast iron is inside getting hot too. The result is a pizza dough that is just the right amount of crispy and chewy!
Five-Ingredient Spicy Sausage Cast Iron Pizza Ingredients:
Five-Ingredient Spicy Sausage Cast Iron Pizza Step by Step:
ABOUT FIVE-INGREDIENT MEALS:
Five ingredient meals are wholesome down to earth recipes that focus on the quality of ingredients rather than quantity. These flavorful, unfussy meals are fun and easy to make!
Salt, pepper, and oil are fair game and therefore not considered one of the five ingredients!
Five-Ingredient Spicy Sausage Cast Iron Pizza
- 1 16oz pre-made pizza dough room temperature
- 2 Italian sausage links casing removed
- 2 whole Calabrian chilis (oil-packed) roughly chopped
- 4oz burrata
- 1/2 c strained tomatoes or tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven and cast iron pan to 425.
- Roll out the pizza dough to fit the width of the pan. Carefully place the dough in the preheated cast iron. Spread the tomato sauce over the top, then the chopped chilis and sausage. Season with salt and pepper then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Carefully lift the pizza from the pan with a spatula. Tear the burrata into small pieces and distribute over the top of the pizza. Drizzle with a spoonful of the Calabrian chili oil then slice into 4 pieces and serve!