These crispy, golden-brown fried artichokes are the perfect appetizer for and end of summer meal! The best part is they’re made with frozen artichokes so there’s no dealing with all the fuss of fresh artichokes, which let’s face it are very fussy and tedious to handle.
I serve these fried artichokes with lemony garlic “aioli” which is really just lemony garlic mayo because I like to keep things easy around here. I also serve them with very cold, crisp white wine, but that’s totally optional!
Fried Artichokes with Lemony Garlic Aioli Step, by step →
Fried Artichokes with Lemony Garlic Aioli
- 1 bag frozen baby artichoke hearts defrosted
- 1 qt neutral oil like avocado or sunflower
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 3 tbsp lemon juice + lemon zest for serving
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, grated garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Fill a cast-iron pan or small saucepot with the oil and place over medium/high heat. You want to aim for 325-350 degrees.
- Place the defrosted artichoke hearts on a clean kitchen towel. Gently pat them dry with the towel, absorbing as much of the excess moisture as you can.
- In batches, fry the artichokes until they are a deep golden brown. Flip them over as they are frying to ensure even color on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined tray to drain. Season with salt while they are still hot. Repeat this process with the next batch.
- Grate some lemon zest over the fried artichokes and serve with the lemony garlic mayo.