Boring, flavorless salads…not around here! This superfood salmon salad is packed with flavor and nutrient dense ingredients like edamame, avocado, kale, and seaweed. Brown rice gives it some extra heft, and the addictive sweet-savory miso dressing rounds the whole thing out. Enjoy this hearty salad for dinner and save the leftovers for lunch through out the week!
Between all the pasta, tacos, and noodles I like to mix things up with nutrient dense meals like this Superfood Salmon Salad. It’s all about balance, right?
Don’t think that because this salad is packed with healthy ingredients it’s going to be boring. It’s quite the opposite! Tangy miso-honey dressing really packs a punch! It’s the perfect combo of salty, sweet and umami flavors.
Note: I crush a few sheets of nori over this salad for some extra crunch and saltiness. I use one of the small individual packs of “seaweed snacks” but you can also use regular sushi nori and toast it yourself.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe: salmon filets, kale, cooked brown rice, edamame, avocado, green onion, ginger, garlic, miso, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and olive oil.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Make the Dressing
In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour a few tablespoons of dressing over the salmon then gently turn in over in the dressing until evenly coated. Reserve the rest of the dressing for later.
Step 2. Cook the Salmon
Cook the salmon in a cast-iron or non stick pan.
Step 3. Serve
Toss with salad ingredients with the dressing. Divide between bowls, serve with brown rice, salmon, sliced avocado and crumbled seaweed!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Miso is a fermented soy bean paste. It has a rich salty flavor and creaminess salad dressing that coats all the other ingredients really well.
To check if the fish is cooked, take a metal skewer, or the tip of a knife and stick it into the thickest part of the fish count to 5 then carefully take the skewer out and hold it against your lip to feel the temperature–if it’s cold the fish is still raw, if it’s warm the fish is cooked to about medium, if it’s hot the fish is well done.
Check Out More Great Recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Superfood Salmon Salad
- 2 8 oz salmon filets
- 1 c cooked brown rice warm or room temperature
- 1 bunch lactinato kale stems removed, roughly chopped
- ½ c shelled edamame
- 1 whole avocado diced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pack seaweed snacks or 1 sheet of toasted nori
- 2 tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic grated or minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- To make the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour 2-3 tbsp of the dressing over the salmon filets, gently tossing to coat. Set the rest of the dressing aside for later.
- Let salmon filets marinate in the dressing for 10 minutes. Heat a cast iron or non stick pan over medium/low heat. Add a splash of oil to the pan. Cook the salmon for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked to your desired doneness. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, massage the dressing into the kale with your hands until the leaves are dark and shiny. Next add in the edamame, sesame seeds, and scallion, toss to coat.
- Add a scoop of brown rice to a bowl then top with the salad followed by a salmon filet and sliced avocado. For the seaweed, you can thinly slice it with a sharp knife or simply crumble it over the top the salad. Serve immediately!
This absolutely slaps! The dressing is everything, loved it. 10/10 will make again.