My childhood favorite dessert is getting a grown up makeover today! These over the top rice crispy treats are made with golden-brown caramelized white chocolate, gooey marshmallows, toasty brown butter, and puffed rice cereal! Don’t worry, they only sound fancy! This recipe is super quick and easy to make!
Lets make fancy rice crispy treats! I thought I might be in the minority of adults that still pine for this childhood sweet treat but when I tested this recipe on my friends they were just as obsessed. Not only are these rice crispy treats leveled up with caramelized white chocolate but they’re also made with brown butter!
While I’ve never been a big white chocolate fan, caramelized white chocolate is a completely different story! Baking white chocolate low and slow in the oven caramelizes the sugars and milk and transforms pale, boring white “chocolate” into toasty buttery caramel that resembles toffee or even Dulce de Leche!
These rice crispy treats are sure to be a hit with kids and adults! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients You’ll Need
All you need to make this recipe is four simple ingredients: puffed rice cereal, mini marshmallows, butter and white chocolate chips. I do recommend using a high-quality white chocolate like Guittard or Valhrona.
Recipe Step by Step
Step 1. Caramelize the White Chocolate
To make the caramelized white chocolate I follow David Lebovitz’s method. It’s very simple, all you have to do is bake the chocolate at 250F and watch the magic happen! An hour in the oven turns the pale white chocolate chips deeply golden brown.
Step 2. Melt the Marshmallows and Butter
In a large pot melt the butter until it is golden brown and smells like toasted hazelnuts. Next add in the marshmallows (I use mini marshmallows because they melt easier), white chocolate and a pinch of salt. Once thats all ooey-gooey fold in the puffed rice cereal. Prepare to get your arm work out in!
Step 3. Cool and Slice!
Once the puffed rice and marshmallow mixture is evenly combined turn it out into a parchment-lined pan to cool for about 30 minutes then slices into squares and enjoy!
FAQs, Tips & Tricks
Caramelized White Chocolate is white chocolate that has been roasted low and slow until the sugars and milk cook and caramelize creating a deeply rich, nutty toffee-like flavor. It’s very easy to make at home however if you prefer, you can buy it ready made. Valhrona is famous for their version: “Dulcey” Blonde Chocolate. You can use caramelized white chocolate to make ganache, ice cream, cakes, candy, cookies and and more!
Yes! Rice crispy treats will stay fresh for 1-2 days. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
Nope! Rice crispy treats should be stored at room temperature.
Pro tip: Is your pot a sticky mess of marshmallow residue and puffed rice? Not to worry, just fill it with water and a little bit of dish soap and simmer for 5 minutes to loosen whatever may be stuck to it. This will make clean up SO much easier!
Check Out More Great Recipes
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Caramelized White Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- 1 12 oz box puffed rice cereal
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 16 oz bags mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp salt
Caramelized White Chocolate
- 1 12 oz bag white chocolate chips I prefer a higher quality white chocolate like Guittard or Valrhona.
Caramelized White Chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 250F. Spread the white chocolate chips in an even layer into an oven safe baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes then use a spatula to stir the chocolate around. It may appear lumpy or chalky at first but don't worry about that, it will smooth out eventually. Continue cooking for another 30-45 minutes or until the chocolate is deeply golden brown and caramelized.
- Take the caramelized white chocolate out of the oven and give it a good stir, its ok if it's not perfectly smooth, once it's added to the marshmallows it will all smooth out.
Rice Crispy Treats
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Let the butter get golden brown and nutty then add in the marshmallows, caramelized white chocolate and salt. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until completely melted then fold in the puffed rice cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Press GENTLY with your fingertips just until completely spread out (the harder you pack them in, the harder they are to eat). Allow to set, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Puffed Rice Cereal: You can use brown or regular puffed rice.
- Marshmallows: I highly recommend mini marshmallows. They melt so much easier than the large.
- White Chocolate: Higher quality white chocolate is better. I tried this recipe once with a store brand and it was fine but not spectacular. The brand I prefer and recommend is Guittard.
- Can I make this recipe in advance? Yes! Rice crispy treats will stay fresh for 1-2 days. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
- Should I refrigerate Rice Crispy Treats? Nope! Rice crispy treats should be stored at room temperature.