Chewy and soft oatmeal cookies with dark chocolate, cherries, walnuts and a hint of cinnamon!
These cookies were inspired by one of my favorite dark chocolate bars that’s speckled with crunchy walnuts and dried cherries. I love the combination of sweet, salty and tart. These chewy oatmeal cookies are perfect for a cozy afternoon treat or post-dinner dessert! Enjoy them all on their own or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for an extra indulgent sweet treat!
All-Purpose Flour: You can substitute GF flour like Cup4Cup.
Rolled Oats: Use thick old fashioned rolled oats. Do not substitute instant or steel-cut.
Brown + Granulated Sugar
Bittersweet/Dark Chocolate Chips: You can substitute semi-sweet if you prefer but the dark chocolate is really lovely with the dried cherries.
Dried Cherries: Not a fan of dried cherries? Use dried cranberries, or raisins instead.
Walnuts: Make sure the walnuts are toasted for the best flavor!
Step One: Cream the butter and sugars.
Step Two: Add in the eggs, and vanilla, scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
Step Three: Add in the dried ingredients, followed but the nuts, cherries, and chocolate.
Step Four: Scoop the dough then chill for at least 30 minutes.
Step Five: Bake, cool and serve!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Walnut Cookies
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c dried cherries
- 1 c chopped toasted walnuts
- 12 oz dark or bittersweet chocolate chips about 1 and 3/4 cups.
- flakey sea salt for sprinkling optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, and vanilla and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, add in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough, about 3tbsp of dough per cookie, onto a baking tray. Cover and chill the scooped dough for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator (and up to 4 days).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Place the cookies at least four inches apart on the baking trays. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. While the cookies are still warm sprinkle lightly with flakey sea salt.