This vibrant balsamic dressing transforms even the simplest salads with a symphony of sweet and tangy notes that will leaving you questioning why you ever relied on store-bought dressing in the past.
Perfect for delicate, peppery greens like arugula or dandelion this sweet, punchy fig vinaigrette is a great thing to have in your fridge for quick and delicious salad prep. It has many uses beyond salads too. Use it as a glaze for roast chicken or marinade for grilled skirt steak. Drizzle it over roasted root vegetables or a simple Summery caprese with fresh figs, creamy burrata and torn basil leaves. The possibilities are limitless!
Buying balsamic vinegar is a bit like buying wine – price and quality varies dramatically. In this recipe the vinegar is blended with dijon mustard, jam and honey, all of which would mask the more subtle, nuanced flavors of a high-end, aged balsamic. For that reason, I see no need to splurge. Instead look for a decent quality vinegar that’s sold in a glass bottle and produced in Italy. Don’t use a balsamic “reduction”, “cream” or “glaze.
If you’re in need of a refresher on all things vinaigrettes and salad dressings check out my guide, How-To Make a Perfect Vinaigrette.
To make this vinaigrette you’ll need just a few simple ingredients; balsamic vinegar, fig jam, mustard (dijon, whole grain or a bit of each), honey and olive oil.
- Use homemade fig jam in this recipe? Yes, absolutely. You can use homemade or store-bought fig jam or fig preserves.
- Make this dressing in a blender? You can totally make this dressing in a blender (or with an immersion blender) but keep in mind you’ll want to add a few tablespoons of warm water to achieve a smooth, pourable consistency. This dressing is quite thick as-is, using a blender can make it even thicker.
- Make a double batch? Yep! This recipe doubles very nicely and will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Vinaigrettes and Salad Dressings:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fig jam
- 2 tablespoons dijon or whole grain mustard or a 50/50 combination of each
- 2 tablespoons honey optional
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey and fig jam. While whisking, begin to slowly stream in the olive oil, continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated.
- Season the dressing with a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Note: if the dressing is too thick whisk in a few tablespoons of warm water until it reaches a smooth and pourable consistency.