This super simple skirt steak salad with farro, arugula, and feta cheese comes together quickly and easily and only requires five ingredients!
This hearty and healthy steak salad is perfect for lunch or dinner and requires only five ingredients! It also keeps really well making it a great option for meal prep, picnics or lunches on the go. I love using skirt steak because it’s inexpensive and cooks quickly. This salad is totally customizable so feel free to get creative or use what you already have on hand!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
There’s a ton of room in this recipe for substitutions and customization. The farro can be swapped out for any grain: quinoa, barley, wild rice, etc. Same with the cheese! You could try blue cheese or goat instead if you’re not into feta or don’t have it on hand.
To make this hearty salad cook: the farro in salted, boiling water until it’s tender then strain and let cool. While the farro is cooking, season and cook the steak in a cast iron pan. Toss the cooked farro with olive oil, lemon juice, arugula and feta cheese then top with the steak!
Farro is a nutrient-packed wheat grain. It has a nutty flavor and chewy texture similar to barley. Farro is perfect for grain salads, soups, stews and risotto!
Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Five-Ingredient Steak Salad with Farro, Arugula, and Feta
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 2 c cooked farro
- 2 c arugula
- 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat a cast-iron pan on high heat. Pat the steak dry with paper towels then season with salt and pepper. Add a splash of oil to the pan then sear the steak quickly about 1-2 minutes on each side for medium-rare or longer if you prefer it more well done. Remove from the pan and let rest for five minutes before slicing.
- Toss the cooked farro with the feta cheese, arugula, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve the sliced steak next to or on top of the farro salad. Serve immediately!
- Farro: you could use any grain like quinoa, wild rice, or barley
- Arugula: spinach, watercress or baby kale
- Feta: crumbled goat cheese, blue cheese or fresh mozzarella
- Farro is a nutrient-packed wheat grain. It has a nutty flavor and chewy texture similar to barley. Farro is perfect for grain salads, soups, stews and risotto!