Marinating feta with lemon and olive oil is one of my favorite ways to upgrade an already delicious cheese! Serve this garlicky, lemony marinated cheese with grilled bread or toasted baguette for the perfect easy appetizer!
Marinated feta is the perfect elegant appetizer to step up your dinner party game! It’s great all on its own or as an addition to a charcuterie and cheese board. For the best flavor, you’ll want to serve marinated feta warm or room temperature. It’s great alongside grilled bread, homemade crostini or even crudités.
If you want to prep this recipe in advance you can totally do that. Store the prepared marinated feta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The olive oil will solidify so be sure to take it out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before you plan to serve it.
If you’re already on a feta kick make sure to check Whipped Feta Dip with Garlic, Herbs and Jalapeño.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you need to make this recipe: a block of feta cheese (don’t use pre-crumbled feta!), scallions, shallot, lemon, garlic, olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make! Simply warm the olive oil in a saute pan then add in the garlic, shallot, lemon zest and chili flakes. Bring to a low simmer, then after about 5 minutes add in the scallions and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Let the oil cool slightly before you pour it over the feta. It’s ok if the oil is still a bit warm but you don’t want it so hot that it melts the cheese. Serve with grilled bread or crostini.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes! You could use goat cheese for this recipe or even fresh mozzarella balls aka bocconcini.
Yes! Marinated feta will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week. Just be sure to remove it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the oil and cheese to come up to room temperature.
Check out more great recipes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Marinated Feta with Lemon and Olive Oil
- 10 oz feta cheese broken into roughly 1-inch pieces
- ¾ c high-quality olive oil
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 4 strips lemon zest removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 4 scallions thinly slices
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, shallot, zest, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is pale golden and aromatic, about 5 minutes then add in the scallions and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let the oil cool for 10 minutes then pour it over the feta cheese. Serve warm or room temperature with grilled bread or a toasted baguette!
- Feta Cheese: Make sure you use a block of feta rather than the pre-crumbled variety. If you’d like to try a different cheese you could do goat or even small mozzarella balls (bocconcini).
- If you want to prep this recipe in advance store the prepared marinated feta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The olive oil will solidify so be sure to take it out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before you plan to serve it.