Savory, oven-roasted baby turnips (also known as Tokyo turnips) tossed with za’atar spice, garlic, lemon zest and olive oil! This healthy side dish is a cinch to make and oh so delicious!
I feel like baby turnips are an often over-looked root vegetable. Mostly because people don’t know what to do with them, or they mistake them for radishes! Well I am here to tell you, they are absolutely delicious and very easy to cook.
Baby turnips are sweet, and roast quickly. They don’t need to be peeled, just give them a good wash. Toss them, tops and all, with olive oil, garlic, and za’atar spice then roast until golden brown.
When you roast them like this you get the bonus of the super-crispy, almost potato chip-like tops!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
All you need to make this recipe is a few simple ingredients: baby turnips, garlic, za’atar spice, olive oil, salt and zest from one lemon.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Season the Turnips
Toss the turnips with the za’atar spice, garlic, olive oil and salt.
Step 2. Roast
Roast the turnips until they are golden brown and the leaves are dark and crispy. Season with the zest from one lemon and serve.
FAQs and Expert Tips:
Baby turnips, also known as Tokyo turnips or Japanese turnips are small white root vegetables with tender peppery greens. They look almost exactly like a white radish. They are perfect for roasting, steaming, sautéing, and pickling. They’re delicious raw too. Try adding thinly sliced baby turnips to salads or on a crudités platter.
Za’atar is a middle eastern spice blend that varies greatly from region to region. It is typically a base of sumac, thyme, sesame, marjoram, or oregano. It can also contain salt, dill, and citrus zest. I usually have a couple of different jars of za’atar on my shelf at home I like to try different varieties!
Check out more delicious side dishes:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Roasted Baby Turnips with Za’atar
- 2 bunches baby turnips
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 3 tbsp za'atar spice
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Give the turnips a good wash then cut them in half. Keep the leaves in in tact but trim away and discard any that are yellowing or blemished.
- In a large bowl toss the turnips with the olive oil, grated garlic, za'atar spice, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Use your hands to evenly coat the turnips and turnip tops with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are nice and crispy and the turnips are soft a golden brown. Season with lemon zest and serve immediately.
- Roasted baby turnips will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days.Reheated in a preheated 400 F oven for 5 minutes.