Baked until tender and fluffy then sliced open and filled a generous serving of umami-rich miso butter, these Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes are a simple and delicious side dish for almost any meal. Serve them with chicken, pork, fish, or a simple salad.
Japanese sweet potatoes (also known as satsumaimo) are insanely flavorful. Less candy-sweet than traditional orange sweet potatoes, these starchy root vegetables have a more subdued chestnut flavor and distinctly dense, velvety texture.
After baking, the potatoes are sliced open, fluffed with a fork and mounted with heaping spoonfuls of miso compound butter–swoon!
While you’re at it… pick up a few extra potatoes at the store and give Whipped Japanese Sweet Potatoes a try next!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe: Japanese sweet potatoes, butter, white or yellow miso paste, green onions, olive oil, and salt.
Recipes Step by Step:
Step 1. Roast the Potatoes
Wash the potatoes well then place them on a lined baking sheet. Rub them with a thin, even layer of olive oil then sprinkle with salt. Bake until completely soft and tender. To check for doneness: insert a pairing knife into the thickest part of the potato. If it goes in easily, with no resistance, it’s done.
Pro tip: Sweet potatoes tend to release sugary liquid while baking which can caramelize and burn onto your baking tray. Lining the pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat ensures an easy clean up.
Step 2: Make the Miso Butter
While the potatoes are baking whisk together the miso butter. Set aside.
Step 3: Serve
To serve, use a paring knife to slice halfway through the potato lengthwise, give it a gentle squeeze to open then use a fork to fluff up the interior flesh. Top each potato with miso butter, sliced green onion and salt.
Find more savory sides:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes with Miso Butter
- 2 medium sized Japanese sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp white miso white or yellow
- 2 whole green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a fork or small paring knife, poke each potato at least 10 times on all sides. Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Season liberally with olive oil and salt. Bake until completely soft and tender, about 1 hour, flipping half way through. To check for doneness: insert a pairing knife into the thickest part of the potato. If it goes in easily, with no resistance, it's done.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking whisk together the miso and butter in a small bow. Set aside.
- To serve, cut each potato open lengthwise with a sharp knife and fluff the insides with a fork. Spoon half of the butter into each potato, top with sliced green onion and a sprinkle of salt. Serve immediately!