This healthy, hearty salad may look simple but I promise you it is packed with flavor! Thinly sliced Napa cabbage, cilantro, scallion, and shredded chicken is tossed with creamy miso ginger dressing and toasted sesame seeds! This refreshing salad is perfect your a healthy and satisfying lunch.
This salad has quickly become my go-to healthy lunch! It’s really easy to make and can be prepped ahead of time for ready-to-go lunches. The best part of this salad, in my opinion, is the miso-ginger dressing! It’s creamy and tangy with just a little kick from the freshly grated ginger. Pro tip: make a double batch!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Here’s everything you’ll need to make Miso Ginger Chicken Salad.
- Salad: Napa cabbage, cilantro, green onion, and shredded chicken breast, rotisserie chicken is perfect, or you can poach some yourself.
- Dressing: white miso paste, ginger, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, sesame seeds, and sesame oil.
Recipe Step by Step:
Step 1. Make the Dressing
This dressing is super easy to make! Just whisk together all of the ingredients except for the oil, then while whisking, slowly stream in the olive oil until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
Step 2. Toss and Serve
Toss all of the salad ingredients together with the dressing. Taste and season with more salt as necessary.
FAQs & Expert Tips
You can use rotisserie chicken for this salad or cook it yourself. The chicken should be cooked very simply as it will be tossed with the miso ginger dressing which is very flavorful. I like to poach it. You can use this recipe for poached chicken breast.
This is a great salad to make ahead or meal prep. Just leave the dressing on the side until you’re ready to serve.
Miso is a fermented soybean paste used in a lot of different types of Asian cooking. It’s rich, salty, umami flavor makes it a great addition to sauces, soups, marinades, and dressings. You can find miso in most supermarkets, it’s usually in the same section as tofu. For more fun ways to use miso check out this Miso-Honey Sheet Pan Salmon!
Check Out More Healthy Salads:
I love to hear from readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! Don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Miso-Ginger Chicken Salad
- 2 c shredded napa cabbage
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 4 whole scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 handfull cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs miso white miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 c lime juice or rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Make The Miso-Ginger Dressing
- In a small bowl whisk together the miso, ginger and, garlic. Next, add the soy sauce and lime juice. Last, whisk in the olive oil, sesame seeds, and sesame oil. Set aside.
Assembling the Salad
- In a large bowl toss the salad ingredients with the dressing. Use your hands to work the dressing into all of the ingredients. Taste and season with salt. Divide the salad into bowls and top with extra sesame seeds.
- Cilantro: fresh basil or mint
- Lime Juice: rice vinegar
- Napa Cabbage: any type of cabbage will do, Napa just happens to be my favorite, you could also use romaine lettuce
- Soy Sauce: tamari or liquid aminos
- Chicken: sauteed mushrooms, crumbled tofu, or shrimp
- To prep this salad in advance prepare it according to the recipe but, leave the dressing on the side until you’re ready to serve. This salad will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.