This tangerine and olive oil cake is pure heaven in every bite! I serve it with freshly whipped cream and dried orange slices. You can buy oranges slices at the grocery store if you don’t feel like making them. This cake also works really well with lemon, grapefruit or any in-season citrus!
The key to this cake is whipping lots of air into the eggs and sugar. That creates the cakes’ impressive height and texture.
After the cake has finished baking and cooled slightly you’re going poke holes in the top with a skewer to pour extra olive oil over the cake infusing it with extra flavor and moisture!
How to make dried orange slices:
Pre-heat your oven to 200. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Slice an orange or two into 1/4in slices. Lay the slices on the sheet tray and bake for 6-8 hours or until crisp and completely dried.
To make this cake gluten-free substitute the all purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend like Cup4Cup.
Tangerine + Olive Oil Cake
- 1 1/4 c plus 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c tangerine juice
- 3 tbsp tangerine zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To Garnish (optional, but highly encouraged)
- 1 c freshly whipped cream
- 1/4 c powered sugar
- dried tangerine slices
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Prepare a 9'' spring form pan by cutting a parchment paper circle to line the bottom of the pan. Brush the parchment and edges of the pan with olive oil. Place the pan on top of a sheet tray.
- Sift all the dry ingredients a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the sugar and eggs on high with the whisk attachment. Beat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy and falls slowly off the whisk. This is called the ribbon stage.
- Next, with the mixer on medium/high speed slowly stream in 1 1/4c olive oil. Next, pour in the tangerine juice, zest and vanilla. Turn off the mixer.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until throughly combines. Pour into the prepared pan and put into the oven. Turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 45-55minutes until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes. Use the skewer or a cake tester to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil over the cake and let it seep into the holes. Let the cake cool completely.
- Slice and serve with the dried tangerine slices, powdered sugar and freshly whipped cream!
If you loved this recipe please leave it a five-star rating and comment below!