This olive oil cake is unlike any other cake I’ve baked, it’s super moist and flavored with orange zest and almond extract. You would never even know it’s gluten-free and dairy-free!
Whenever I tell people this cake is gluten and dairy-free, they can’t believe it! You would really never know! Olive oil makes this cake this cake incredibly moist without becoming greasy or oily. It can be made days ahead of whenever you need it. Simply wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature, and it’s good to go!
This olive oil cake is:
- Drizzled with olive oil after baking which creates an extra moist crumb
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
- Lightly flavored with orange and almond
- Not as dense as pound cake, but not as soft as white cakeÂ (in between!)
- Delicious served warm or temperature
- Easy to make!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
Gluten-Free Flour: Brands of gluten-free flour that I recommend: Cup4Cup, or Bobs Redmill 1-1 Baking Flour
Baking Soda + Baking Powder
Eggs: At room temperature. To bring eggs up to room temperature, quickly put them in a bowl and run warm water from the sink over them. Let sit for about five minutes to take the chill off of them.
Olive Oil: Use a high-quality olive oil. Not only is it baked into the cake, but a little is drizzled on at the end just after baking. Make sure it tastes good! I usually prefer a local California olive oil.
Orange Juice + Zest: Lemon is lovely too if you need to substitute.
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Beat the eggs, zest, and sugar together on high until light and fluffy.
3. Slowly pour in the olive oil, followed by the orange juice and almond extract.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into an oiled 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with reserved sugar.
6. Bake 45-50 minutes.Â Cool for 20 minutes.
7. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick or cake tester. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
Check out more delicious desserts:
Gluten-Free Olive Oil Cake
- 1 1/2 c gluten-free flour
- 3/4 c almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 c sugar plus 2 tbsp reserved for topping the cake
- 1 1/4 c olive oil plus 3 tbsp reserved for drizzling
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Brush a 9inch spring-form pan generously with olive oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the dry ingredients; gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking soda and powder, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the sugar, zest, and eggs on high with the whisk attachment. Beat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy and falls slowly off the whisk. Next, with the mixer on medium/high speed very slowly stream in 1 1/4c olive oil, followed but the almond extract then orange juice. Turn off the mixer.
- Switch to a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the batter by hand. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the reserved 2 tbsp of sugar. Bake for 50-55minutes until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes. Use a skewer or a cake tester to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the reserved 3 tbsp of olive oil over the cake and let it seep into the holes. Let the cake cool completely. Slice into wedges and serve!