This recipe for chicken koftas with yogurt and herb salad is the perfect dish to impress at your next dinner party!
Koftas are a middle eastern spiced meatball. I love the combination of dried spices and fresh herbs. They’re super rich and flavorful so I like to serve them with tangy Greek yogurt and fresh herb salad to cut the spice and smokiness of the meatballs. You can serve chicken koftas with yogurt and herbs by itself or with rice, grilled bread, and hummus!
Ingredients used in this recipe:
Dark meat ground chicken: I highly recommend using dark meat (thighs) for these chicken koftas. It’s so much moister and more flavorful than chicken breast. You can also use lamb or beef!
Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika (and paprika in general) is not spicy at all unless it is specifically labeled as “hot”. That’s why I love it so much! You get the sweet, smokey chili flavor without the excessive heat. Get it here → Smoked Paprika
Ground coriander: Coriander is the dried seeds of the cilantro plant! It’s a spice I always have on hand and I put it in so many things! Coriander is highly underrated in my opinion. If you’re not familiar with it try adding it to marinades, vinaigrette and spice rubs. Get it here → Ground Coriander
Whole Milk Greek Yogurt: Adding just a little bit of salt to yogurt intensifies the flavor! Salty greek yogurt is perfect balance the spicy chicken koftas and herby salad.
Chicken Koftas with Yogurt and Herb Salad
- 1 lb ground dark meat chicken
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or grated
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1/2 tbs coriander
- 1/2 tbs smoked paprika
- 1/4 c chopped herbs; parsley mint, and dill
- 2 tsb salt
- 1/4 c olive oil for sautéing
- 1 c parsley
- 1/2 c dill
- 1/2 c mint
- 1 English cucumber thinly sliced
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 c olive oil
Yogurt for Serving
- 1 c whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- In a bowl mix together the ground chicken, herbs, spices, garlic, onion, and salt. Use a spoon or a small ice cream scoop to portion individual meatballs. Use your hands to gently form them into small oval meatballs. They don't need to be perfect so don't overwork them.
- Heat a cast-iron pan to medium heat and pour in 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Place 3-4 koftas in the pan, be careful not to overcrowd them. Depending on the size of your pan you will need to cook them in 2-3 batches. After about five minutes flip them over and cook them on the other side. They should be caramelized and a deep golden brown color. Once they are fully cooked on the second side pull them from the pan, and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Repeat this process with the rest of the koftas until they are all cooked.
- To prepare the salad: Toss the fresh herbs, sliced cucumber, lemon, and olive oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and set aside.
- Next, season the greek yogurt with a pinch of salt.
- To assemble: place the yogurt onto a large plate or platter and spread it around with the back of a spoon. Place the koftas on top of the yogurt. Garnish the koftas with the herb salad, season the with freshly cracked pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy immediately!
If you love Chicken Koftas with Yogurt and Herb Salad check out these other great recipes →
Don’t forget to leave this recipe a five-star review!